Date: 9/28/17 1:09 am
From: Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Hawk Watch
Thanks Eric for this report. Today I checked (again) Gaviota Pass and I got
one MERLIN and nothing else of note. I'm still trying to decide if this is
just a bad location for raptor migration, or if I'm just really bad at
this.

Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
---
SBCO #375: Gray Catbird

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Eric Culbertson <ebc101...>
[sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...> wrote:

> Tuesday evening September 26th along Bella Vista Drive in upper Montecito
> I had two petite Bueto pass that were almost certainly Broad-winged Hawk.
> I've spent some time over the last several weeks here looking for migrating
> raptors. Until tonight I've enjoyed many Turkey Vulture moving over this
> area but very few hawks. Tuesday's hawks passed around 1645hrs and were
> preceded by high flying vultures, a sharp-shined hawk and a peregrine.
>
> Golden Raptor Observatory recorded their season first Broad-winged Hawks
> September 19th. They publish daily hawk counts at http://www.
> parksconservancy.org/programs/ggro/
>
> Eric Culbertson
> Carpinteria