Date: 9/26/17 9:08 pm
From: Wayne Weber <contopus...>
Subject: RE: [Tweeters] did anyone figure out the subspecies of the Horned Larks at Sandy Pt. in Whatcom County?
Tweeters,

I would caution anyone who tries to answer Ed's question that there are 21
subspecies of Horned Lark in North America, several of which are possible in
our area. This is one of the most variable of all species of North American
birds.

The one Horned Lark which my group saw at Sandy Point on Saturday was so
dull and washed-out that it would be very tough to assign to subspecies.
However, I think it is safe to say that it was not the local breeding
subspecies strigata, which is one of the more colourful subspecies, but
which to my knowledge has never been recorded at Sandy Point, at least not
for decades.

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

<Contopus...>