Date: 9/26/17 1:50 pm
Subject: Re: Flight calls - migrating thrushes?
Betsy,

1. Thrushes and other nocturnal migrants call all night long. There is somewhat of a peak in the few hours before dawn, as birds begin their descent.

2. Try to listen in an area away from trees, bushes, etc. and you will hear far fewer insects. Apparently parking garages work quite well for this, just go to the top and listen.

3. Nocturnal listening can be done anywhere. Some locations have a higher density of calls than others, but not all birds follow a specific, narrow pathway.

Hope that helps!

Jerald Reb
Frederica, Delaware

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>
> --- Is it only pre-dawn? or more generally -- what are the best times to listen? (Is pre-dawn 4 a.m., or more like 6 a.m., if positing a sunrise time of ~ 7:00)
>
> -- All I seem to hear is crickets and katydids; how might I hear the birds more easily?
>
> -- Can night-thrush-listening be done anywhere, or only in natural areas / concentrated migration pathways? (I know more birds travel certain funnels and pathways, but would at least some birds be audible in most any location in the Carolinas?)
>
> Thank you to those who share so much information and experience on this lovely list; it has certainly helped me come miles along my birding journey, and be a much more acute birder than I would have flailing about on my own .. there is nothing like the ability to ask questions and seek insights from other people.
>
> Betsy Kane
> Raleigh
>

>> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Pamela Ford <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>> Thank you Brian for this valuable link. The comparison vocalizations were very helpful. Craig Watson and I used the link to listen to pre-dawn birds last weekend and we were able to distinguish Veery and Swainson's Thrush. The link is not only a spectrogram but a vocalization that you can hear if you touch the screen. Not sure if folks were aware. Thanks!
>> Pam Ford
>> Charleston
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Sep 15, 2017, at 3:44 PM, Brian Bockhahn (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Several lost links, but found this link with a nice comparison of the thrushes: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nightmigrants.com_main_page-5Fspecies-5Fcalls-5Fthrush-5Fcomparison-5Fpage.html&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=DW901rVwtzaElWBChgihqxqNBBZTpVhB_is8wqIqcr4&s=a_EAy9-RUHMiP67-lOzWm_zdGN6cME0zzU_3ooR1KBY&e=
>>>
>>> I listen in advance and try to study up, but most nights my ears need to tune up, so on a good night with multiple species I may miss the first few, but then it's quite easy to start to compare. A musical ear makes the distinction easier, and younger ears hear further.
>>>
>>> Some speculations, so feel free to lambast me: I tend to hear more towards dawn, I guess as they are flying lower preparing for landfall. Though the other day I did have an increase before and during a light rain band, and a couple even did drop& nbsp;into trees and continued calling. The higher in elevation, or further west in nc the higher the number of veery. Hermit thrushes won't start until later sep as the other species start to decrease, same thing happens with migratory sparrows, when the white-throated sparrows arrive in Oct they really arrive!!!
>>>
>>> Sep 14, 2017 at Mayo River state park Rockingham county, fairly typical for the site, numbers conservative.

>>> 1 swainsons
>>> 2 wood
>>> 1 dickcissel
>>>
>>> 6-615