Date: 9/26/17 10:48 am
Subject: Re: hurricane devastation
Derb,

BirdsCarribean has a relief fund set up to accept donations to help
birds recover from the recent hurricanes:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.razoo.com_story_Birdscaribbean-2DHurricane-2DRelief&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=dz0pNr802PpEUzhJBdT6UOE5m31NOXOooQNVQkuwYzE&s=AeuKFp6ZMSIFPr0wfJn6mKVF9UvXsI0dcSgUrSe-rmI&e=

Also - there has been a wealth of discussion on BIRDCHAT recently
about this issue. People have pointed out a lengthy list of endemics
- for example Adelaide's Warbler, Blue-headed Hummingbird, Plumbeous
Warbler, Forest Thrush, Brown Trembler ,etc. - that are at risk of
extinction from the hurricanes. Not just from the immediate storm
effects, but the long-term loss of vegetation, food, and cover (to
hide from predators). Imagine being a hummingbird with zero flowers
left on your island. Or a frugivore with no fruit in sight.

You can read recent BIRDCHAT messages online here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__birding.aba.org_maillist_BC&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=dz0pNr802PpEUzhJBdT6UOE5m31NOXOooQNVQkuwYzE&s=liybY-emTrCRR8Lv6bP_SNK3nFJEwioeX_m1_JdG8Mw&e=

Besides island endemics I worry about species like Kirtland's Warbler
- where a lot of the population was already on wintering grounds in
places like the southern Bahamas and Turks and Cacos. Same goes for
Wayne's Black-throated Green Warblers.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Derb Carter <derbc...> wrote:
> I have been trying to learn more about the impacts of hurricanes Irma and
> Maria on already imperiled birds on the affected Caribbean islands. First,
> our thoughts should be with the humans devastated by these storms. But the
> toll on birds has been significant and I fear even possibly final for some
> birds. Many of the islands are small and essentially all the trees blown
> down or all the leaves blown off. Normally verdant forests on hillsides are
> brown with no green vegetation. Individual birds that may have survived
> will have little to sustain them. Communication infrastructure has been
> devastated and information is hard to come by, and only now beginning to
> trickle out.
>

> The endangered Barbuda Warbler is only found on Barbuda. A preliminary
> survey of the small island from which all humans have been evacuated could
> not locate any warblers. Dominica is only 30 miles north to south and 10
> miles wide but has two endemic parrots, the spectacular Imperial Parrot
> (pop. ~ 200) and Red-necked Parrot (pop. ~ 1200). I think Dominica is the
> only country that features a parrot on its national flag, and was working
> hard to develop an ecotourism economy based on its preserved forests. I
> have yet to find any information on the fate of the parrots.
>

> Reports are the Puerto Rican Parrots in the captive breeding facility have
> survived, taken care of during the storm by a young woman. I have heard no
> reports of the wild populations. Fortunately efforts had established three
> parrot populations, increasing resiliency to hurricanes but the entire
> island took a major hit and the largest El Yunque population took the brunt
> of the storm. El Yunque is also the stronghold of the endemic Elfin Woods
> Warbler.
>

> In April, a Carolina Bird Club trip to Cuba observed thousands of American
> Flamingoes feeding in the salt lagoons at Cayo Coco on the north shore of
> Cuba. This area took a direct hit from Irma. I have seen video from Cayo
> Coco of hundreds of dead and a few crippled flamingoes. This area is also
> the only site for Bahama Mockingbird on Cuba and one small barrier island is
> the only site for a small population of the Cuban subspecies of Thick-billed
> Vireo.
>

> I am trying to determine the best organization(s) working to assist the
> local organizations that are working to do what can be done to help recover
> the birds. If I find one to recommend, I will post. Of course, any
> assistance to help the people recover will help, especially in a country
> like Dominica which has a population of 70,000 and no mother country to turn
> to.
>

> Derb Carter
>
> Chapel Hill, NC

Join us on Facebook!