Date: 9/25/17 7:39 pm
From: Jon Woolf <jsw...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Still time to sign up for NHA Fall Pelagic
Listfolk,

There's still time to sign up for Massabesic Audubon Center's fall
pelagic-birding trip, and we have plenty of room left.

WHAT: NH Audubon's fall pelagic birding trip, run out of Massabesic
Audubon Center. Our hosts for the day are Captain Pete Reynolds and
his expert crew. Steve Mirick will be on the microphone, calling out
birds and anything else interesting.

WHEN: Sunday, October 8th, 8am to 5pm

WHERE: Meet at 7:30AM dockside in Rye Harbor for an 8AM departure
aboard the MV Granite State. We'll spend all day at sea, looking for
birds and anything else interesting (but mostly for birds).

WHAT TO BRING: Binoculars, of course. A digital camera is always a
good idea, as these trips often produce excellent photo
opportunities. Bring a lunch if you like. Granite State has a snack
bar aboard that can provide both cold and hot food and drink,
especially coffee and hot chocolate. Weather on the open water is
unpredictable: sometimes hot, sometimes rather chilly (although given
the time of year, 'chilly' is more likely). Prepare for both.
Sunglasses and/or a hat are a good idea. Bring motion-sickness pills
if you're vulnerable to seasickness. Granite State's seating is
mostly wooden benches, so a seat cushion is a good idea if you have
trouble with sitting on hard surfaces.

WHAT WE MIGHT SEE: Hard to say. Early October on Jeffrey's Ledge is a
'mixed' time of year, with a possibility of lingering summer birds,
early winter birds, fall migrants... Past trips have produced Cory's
and Great shearwaters, Northern Fulmar, Northern Gannet, a Pomarine
Jaeger, a Black-legged Kittiwake, and a wide variety of fall
migrants. Beyond that, your guess is as good as ours!

REGISTRATION: You must register in advance for this trip. We need a
minimum of 30 people to pay for the trip. We've set a maximum of 50
so that the boat doesn't get too crowded. Cost is $70 for NH Audubon
members, $90 for non-members. Contact Massabesic Audubon Center
(phone 603-668-2045, email <mac...>) to sign up. Contact
either MAC or me with any questions you might have.

PELAGIC BIRDS WORKSHOP: To go with the trip, I will be holding a
1-hour workshop at Massabesic Center at 3pm on Saturday Oct 7th. This
is free to anyone who has signed up for the trip, and $5 to others.
The workshop discusses the most common pelagic birds and how to
identify them. Since we generally see both whales and birds on these
trips, the workshop also includes information on the common whales of
the Gulf of Maine.

My thanks go out to all who have made these trips a success in past
years. I hope to see you again this year ... along with as many new
faces as we can fit!

-- Jon Woolf

--
To Change your e-mail delivery settings (digest, daily, no mail)
visit: