Date: 9/25/17 5:46 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Allegheny Front (25 Sep 2017) 23 Raptors

SK 0 0 1

Total: 23 3838 4258

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Deb Bodenschatz

Observers: Bob Gorsuch, Mike Leahy

Visitors:
Mike Leahy, Bob Gorsuch, Donald Becker, Gina Apocal (Philippines)

Weather:
Very warm with partly cloudy skies and light E/ESE wind (3-14 mph). The
valley was extremely hazy in the morning and remained fairly hazy all day.

Raptor Observations:
We had 13 Turkey Vultures, one of which had a white tag on it''s right
wing. We could not see a number. We had 2 adult Bald Eagles (10:52 and
3:59). The morning bird came directly overhead and very low. The afternoon
bird was out over the valley. All the raptors we had between 10 and 11
came directly across the front and quite low, including the adult Peregrine
Falcon and the immature Goshawk. The Goshawk, Cooper's and a Red- tail
circled above us at the same time and quite low. It was awesome. In that
hour we also had a young N. Harrier, but it eventually headed NW so was not
included in the Count. The wind died down in the afternoon but the few
birds we had were great. We had a Kestrel fly at eye level just off the
eastern edge of escarpment. We had a young Redtail circling above us and
the owl pole screaming like mad and we had a beautiful young female Merlin
that entertained us for more than 20 minutes, attacking the owl,
screeching, chasing a raven, being chased by a number of Chimney Swifts and
then in turn chasing them and landing in trees nearby a number of times.

Non-raptor Observations:
Ruffed Grouse 2, A. Crow, Blue Jay 7, Chipping Sparrow 2, E. Towhee 17,
Turkey 13, Hummingbird 1, Flicker 1, Red-bellied Woodpecker 1, Turkey
Vulture 13, E. Bluebird 1, Chimney Swift 15, C. Raven 4, Chickadee 1

Butterflies: Monarch 29
Meadow Fritillary, Sulphuric, Cabbage White, American Lady, Black
Swallowtail, Red-spotted Purple, Coral Hairsteak

Predictions:
Partly cloudy to mostly sunny skies with very light (3-6 mph) ESE wind and
a high of around 26 C.
Report submitted by Deb Bodenschatz (<debbiebodenschatz...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=111

Join us on Facebook!