Date: 9/25/17 2:57 pm
From: 'Lethaby, Nick' <nlethaby...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: [sbcobirding] More geese
Robert,

Generally geese populations have increased massively in North America over the last few decades and are causing significant problems for other tundra species like shorebirds as geese take over their breeding habitats. It would actually be better to greatly reduce most populations.

The management and creation of habitat for them in hunting areas is certainly one reason for this increase. So goose hunting hasn't had any negative effect on their populations - quite the opposite. There are a few subpopulations like Tule Whitefronts (not the ones that occur down here) that are rarer, but most populations are doing well (e.g. Aleutian Cackling Geese).

Swans and geese are also much more prone to change their wintering areas as these are learnt not innately programmed into them. For example minima Cackling Geese are now much rarer than formerly in California but that this is simply because they shifted their wintering range north into Oregon.

There is isn't much incentive for Whitefronts or any other geese to return to Southern California in numbers because:

1. Winters are now generally much milder in OR/WA than 30 years ago so no reason to travel further south
2. Geese like to feed in large fields with grass/grain, extensive marshes etc. Southern California is pretty much solidly urban so lacks habitat. The large coastal marshes they used to inhabit are all gone.

Nick

Date: Monday, September 25, 2017, 11:22 AM

After this morning's birding class at the Bird Refuge, a flock of six Greater White-fronted Goose flew overhead and landed in the lagoon opposite to the parking area. I heard them calling as they flew over, which is what alerted me to them.

Rebecca Coulter
SB

------------------------------------
Posted by: Rebecca Fagan Coulter <rfcphoebe...>
------------------------------------

For everything birding in Santa Barbara
County: http://www.sbcobirding.com
Read the County Reporting List
guidelines: http://www.sbcobirding.com/countyreportinglist.html
Updated status & distribution of
Santa Barbara County birds: https://sites.google.com/site/lehmanbosbc/
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

    (Yahoo! ID required)

    <sbcobirding-fullfeatured...>

------------------------------------
Posted by: Robert van de Hoek <robertvandehoek...>
------------------------------------

For everything birding in Santa Barbara County: http://www.sbcobirding.com Read the County Reporting List guidelines: http://www.sbcobirding.com/countyreportinglist.html
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Lethaby, Nick" <nlethaby...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)