Date: 9/25/17 2:40 pm
From: Robert van de Hoek <robertvandehoek...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] More geese
Hi Rebecca:

I am so glad you reported these 6 rare geese and I am inspired to write a few thoughts about the current status and a hopeful future.

These geese you observed were fortunate to have escaped the gun hunters in Klamath-Tule Lake area as they entered California from Oregon on their southerly migration. I wish to accelerate the recovery of this goose species into urbanized Southern California at our urban parks with lakes and lagoons and grasslands of golf courses and ball fields.

Perhaps these 6 geese are a mother, father, and 4 young? Or are they 6 young birds and both parents are dead?
Or two families with 2 young in each family? Or perhaps, the two parents with 2 generations of their young geese following them?
Any photos to share with us?

I looked at Grinnell & Miller (1944), Distribution of the Birds of California, alongside Garrett & Dunn, Birds of Southern California for status and trends of this goose. Clearly there has been a severe decline for this goose with practically no winter abundance in coastal Southern California from about 1940s to the present.

The flock you saw ought to have been 600 birds or 60 birds, in other words an order of magnitude or two higher.
I attended California Department Fish & Commissioner attended CDFW wildlife meeting and learned that a lot of hunting occurs for this goose occurs in the Klamath-Tule Lake region of northeastern California. I spoke up about the desire for this goose species to recover to our urban coastal counties in winter, where they will be protected from hunters, nurtured with supplemental feeding of grain if needed, and abundant lakes to sequester for night-time safety.

Peace,
"Roy"
Robert Jan van de Hoek
Ballona Institute
Los Angeles, California

Subject: [sbcobirding] More geese
To: <sbcobirding...>
Date: Monday, September 25, 2017, 11:22 AM

After this morning's birding class at the
Bird Refuge, a flock of six Greater White-fronted Goose flew
overhead and landed in the lagoon opposite to the parking
area. I heard them calling as they flew over, which is what
alerted me to them.

Rebecca Coulter
SB

------------------------------------
Posted by: Rebecca Fagan Coulter <rfcphoebe...>
------------------------------------

For everything birding in Santa Barbara
County: http://www.sbcobirding.com
Read the County Reporting List
guidelines: http://www.sbcobirding.com/countyreportinglist.html
Updated status & distribution of
Santa Barbara County birds: https://sites.google.com/site/lehmanbosbc/
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

    (Yahoo! ID required)

    <sbcobirding-fullfeatured...>

------------------------------------
Posted by: Robert van de Hoek <robertvandehoek...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)