Date: 9/25/17 6:45 am
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: Re: [NHBirds] Sunset Farm question
Sunset Farm is private property on the eastern shoreline of Great Bay.
It is primarily a great viewing spot for ducks on Great Bay in late fall
and early winter and is famous for the large (often distant) flocks of
Greater Scaup, and the annual flocks of American Wigeon that routinely
include a Eurasion Wigeon or two mixed in. The owner has his house and
some rental units on this property.  He is OK with birders visiting the
property provided they follow normal etiquette.  These include parking
on a paved area (not on the grass) and not blocking normal traffic flow
around the units.  We often park in the paved extension leading down
toward the bay.

As we get into hunting season, there will be a lot of pressure on the
ducks, so be careful not to flush them if they are in close. Stay at a
distance.  Normally this is not a problem.  In fact, a spotting scope is
almost essential at this location as ducks can be EXTREMELY distant.
Viewing is best in the morning with the sun behind you and can be very
difficult on strong NW winds.

To get to the spot, drive down the driveway (opposite the Great Bay
Farm) and go all the way to the end, past the older home and toward the
vista of Great Bay.

Generally you can set up a spotting scope toward the water's edge or up
on the elevated knoll.

Please keep this a spot for birders and behave accordingly.  Stay away
from the house and rental units and don't block the driveway.

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA