Date: 9/22/17 4:53 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Carter Hill Observatory (22 Sep 2017) 82 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 2 3 3
Unknown Eagle 0 1 1
Unknown Raptor 2 26 26

Total: 82 4452 4452

Observation start time: 07:45:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8.25 hours

Official Counter: Ken Klapper

Observers: Cindy Reid, Kim Tuttle, Paul Bourgault, Robert Vallieres,
Tom McShane

Visitors:
One-hundred and eighteen. It was great to see so many friendly faces, both
old friends and new! A mellow day hanging out and counting a few migrants.

Weather:
Pretty much overcast the whole day, actually a bit chilly due to stronger
than anticipated winds, from the N to the NE. This led to poor thermal
development.

Raptor Observations:
I was hoping for a 1000+ day, but we got less than 100. Still, there were
10 species counted, if you include the local TVs and Red-tails. It was a
decent harrier and kestrel day. Many raptors were low and moving by
quickly.

Non-raptor Observations:
Continuing Catbird, Lincoln's Sparrow, Indigo Buntings, etc along the
orchard edge. Several Herring Gulls, a skein of Canada Geese, and an adult
Common Loon - most of these heading north. One pipit flew over, calling.
Five Monarchs.

Predictions:
Warmer and sunnier (well, that's what I said about today) but with light
winds. I think we may have a very good day if the winds don't totally
stop. A few clouds to see raptors against would be totally cool.
Report submitted by Ken Klapper (<kklapper...>)
Carter Hill Observatory information may be found at:
www.nhaudubon.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=679