Date: 9/22/17 1:14 pm
From: Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...>
Subject: Prince G. jaeger ID
I've just had a few minutes to catch up with the photo documentation of the recent jaeger sighting at Prince Gallitzin SP and the photos show a very clear juvenile Long-tailed Jaeger, not a Parasitic as it has been IDed on eBird. Some important ID features separating this from a juvenile Parasitic are....

-small head with large eye
-short bill with bulbous tip
-very light plumage with blonde tips to mantle feathers
-dark primaries with only a very thin pale edge to each primary tip
-tail length meets primary length when floating

Photo documentation of the bird: https://ebird.org/media/catalog?date.beginMonth=1&searchField=species&date.beginYear=2017&date.endYear=2017&taxonCode=parjae&view=Gallery&regionCode=US-PA&action=show&date.yearRange=YCURRENT&date.endMonth=12&onlyUnrated=false&date.monthRange=M1TO12&start=0&count=30&mediaType=Audio,Photo,Video&sort=upload_date_desc&q=Parasitic%20Jaeger%20-%20Stercorarius%20parasiticus&species=Parasitic%20Jaeger%20-%20Stercorarius%20parasiticus&region=Pennsylvania,%20United%20States%20(US)

Alex Lamoreaux

I'm out birding, so this email was sent from my iPhone!

Join us on Facebook!