Date: 9/21/17 3:34 pm
From: Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Gaviota and surroundings 2017-09-21
This Thursday morning I checked out Gaviota SP and some surrounding spots.

I tried the southbound Rest for raptors, but I did not get what I hoped
for. An OSPREY riding the ridge was curious though.

At Gaviota the only warblers that I managed under these windy circumstances
were COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, ORANGE-CROWNED, and YELLOW-RUMPED (ugh). The
birdiest spot was the patch of Tamarisks near the pier. The pier itself was
loaded with 110 BROWN PELICAN, and an assortment of gulls and cormorants.
At the rocks were 2 WANDERING TATLER. A distant and high-up flock of 70+
CORMORANTS puzzled me for a while. The beach had 1 ROYAL TERN.

Nojoqui Falls Park had 1 RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET and nothing else of note.

The ag' fields along Old Coast Highway are looking better than in previous
years. A quick stop got me a fair number of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS and LARK
SPARROWS, and a SAVANNAH SPARROW.

Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
---
SBCO #375: Gray Catbird