Date: 9/21/17 6:39 am
Subject: Re: Flight calls - migrating thrushes?
Thank you Brian for this valuable link. The comparison vocalizations were very helpful. Craig Watson and I used the link to listen to pre-dawn birds last weekend and we were able to distinguish Veery and Swainson's Thrush. The link is not only a spectrogram but a vocalization that you can hear if you touch the screen. Not sure if folks were aware. Thanks!
Pam Ford
Charleston

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 15, 2017, at 3:44 PM, Brian Bockhahn (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> Several lost links, but found this link with a nice comparison of the thrushes: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nightmigrants.com_main_page-5Fspecies-5Fcalls-5Fthrush-5Fcomparison-5Fpage.html&d=DwIFAg&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=OxS1vNe3-TzKe8FeQetLXJzXE-QxiVqisR-Tcc5SPOY&s=XSKOkyhSIGaJF4xlN8WhZFBj1aETwsveeNXrRyrAmCk&e=
>
> I listen in advance and try to study up, but most nights my ears need to tune up, so on a good night with multiple species I may miss the first few, but then it's quite easy to start to compare. A musical ear makes the distinction easier, and younger ears hear further.
>
> Some speculations, so feel free to lambast me: I tend to hear more towards dawn, I guess as they are flying lower preparing for landfall. Though the other day I did have an increase before and during a light rain band, and a couple even did drop into trees and continued calling. The higher in elevation, or further west in nc the higher the number of veery. Hermit thrushes won't start until later sep as the other species start to decrease, same thing happens with migratory sparrows, when the white-throated sparrows arrive in Oct they really arrive!!!
>
> Sep 14, 2017 at Mayo River state park Rockingham county, fairly typical for the site, numbers conservative.
>
> 5-6am
> 1 swainsons
> 2 wood
> 1 dickcissel