Date: 9/20/17 11:23 am
From: Kurt Schwarz <krschwa1...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Odd Red-Shouldered Hawk
I have gone out on a limb and posted to eBird a sighting of a POSSIBLE extremis subspecies of Red-shouldered at the Howard County Conservancy late this morning. I've consulted several texts and cannot find any illustrations of the expected lineatus that show such a white head. For my checklist, and the two frames, see http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39300397

Or does it just have some condition, with all the contour feathers off, and perhaps just down showing? From the tail pattern it is clearly an adult.

Kurt Schwarz
Ellicott City
<krschwa1...>