Date: 9/14/17 9:48 am
From: Jim Pfeifer via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Hokanum River Trail - Windermere Ave., Ellington
Yesterday (9/13) at 3:00-4:00, along with a few warblers (Nashville being best), a Scarlet Tanager, two Baltimore Orioles, and a first-year looking Empid FC (best guess is Willow?), I came across a stunning Bobcat on the trail, just before it splits (right is over the bridge toward the contractor yard, left follows the river). The cat was the picture of health, and based on size was a male. He was big; 25-30 lbs., and lanky. I was no more than 50 feet from him, and he seemed to be a bit too compfy with my presence. We stared at each other for about 30 seconds (me afraid to move a muscle), before he very nonchalantly walked west into the woods, toward Piney Rd and the construction yard area. I know there have been recent reports of a Bobcat killing and injuring house cats in Ellington, not sure what section of town, and I wonder if this could be the same cat. In spite of his healthy appearance, his apparent lack of fear made me a bit nervous. So, just a heads up if you visit this location.

James L. Pfeifer, LEP
Principal Consultant
Environmental Resources Management
99 East River Dr., 3rd Floor
East Hartford, Connecticut
06108

Tel: +860-466-8515 (direct line)
Tel: +860-466-8500 (switchboard)
Mobile: +860-930-7808

www.erm.com<http://www.erm.com/>
<jim.pfeifer...><mailto:<jim.pfeifer...>