Date: 9/13/17 11:17 am
From: David Carey via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Bethany Barred Owl (Subtitle: Going hermentile)
Hermentile... I like it.  That's how I can usually tell if, George, my resident Barred Owl is around.  He comes into the area like smoke.  And unless you hear him the only way you know he's arrived is by the hermentile.  Though this morning at 4:00 am he was the only one up just outside the bedroom window.   Captain Dave, Haddam, CT

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 11:49 AM, Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz via CTBirds <ctbirds...> wrote:

I just have too many chores and no time to enjoy this second day of northerly-wind hawk weather, but did get out to the Bethany woods for 20 minutes or so.

Woods were breezy but totally quiet, no birds at all.  Suddenly, jays started screaming, chickadees and woodpeckers were calling like crazy, and the titmice well, went totally hermentile. I got a glimpse of a fleeing Barred owl during this eruption of avian belligerence.
I first heard the term hermentile from an ol' Navy Chief at the "Sound Lab" (Naval Underwater Systems Center, Fort Trumbull, New London, CT).   A source superior to Oxford - The Urban Dictionary - defines as " going crazy, raging, shouting and acting out of control."  A fitting term for the event that just occurred.

Steve MayoBethany