Date: 9/13/17 5:12 am
From: Jc dipper <dipper2c...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Where to buy binoculars
If landsandsky does it carry the brand you pr fee, look at Portland Audubon
Society's stock and member of price.
I, too, had a very positive advice and offe to help from. landSeaAndSky.

Thanks, Clay and Fred !

Julie Crouch
New Braunfels

On Sep 12, 2017 12:05 AM, "FreeLists Mailing List Manager" <
<ecartis...> wrote:

texbirds Digest Mon, 11 Sep 2017 Volume: 06 Issue: 248

In This Issue:
[texbirds] RFI Lafitte's Cove - Galveston
[texbirds] Highlights from Crosby County - Saturday
[texbirds] Highlights from Tahoka Lake Pasture - Sunday
[texbirds] Where to buy binoculars
[texbirds] Re: Where to buy binoculars
[texbirds] Re: Where to buy binoculars
[texbirds] Re: Where to buy binoculars
[texbirds] Re: Where to buy binoculars
[texbirds] Re: Where to buy binoculars
[texbirds] Binoculars

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 12:00:21 -0400
From: "Joanne Kamo" <dmarc-noreply-modpost...> (Redacted sender
Subject: [texbirds] RFI Lafitte's Cove - Galveston

I stopped by Lafitte's Cove a few days ago and saw a few migrants. They
didn't stick around long, so I was wondering if there's anyone that can be
contacted to turn on the drip there, or are they supposed to be off during
the fall? All drips were off.

Thanks so much,
Joanne Kamo
Houston, TX




------------------------------

From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds...>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 14:53:58 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] Highlights from Crosby County - Saturday

Greetings All:
I spent ten hours in Crosby County on Saturday (a long visit to White River
Lake - followed by a lot of road birding) and kicked out quite a few
highlights (despite drying down conditions): 4 male Wood Ducks at White
River Lake, 16 Blue-winged Teals at the CR 189 x FM 193 Playa, 8
Blue-winged Teals at Crosbyton City Park, 20 Blue-winged Teals south of
Crosbyton, 1 Cinnamon Teal at the CR 189 x FM 193 Playa, 2 Cinnamon Teals
south of Ralls, 4 American Wigeons at the CR 189 x FM 193 Playa, 12
Redheads south of Lorenzo, 48 Black-necked Stilts at the CR 173 x FM 40
Playa, 4 Black-necked Stilts at Crosbyton City Park, 26 American Avocets at
the CR 173 x FM 40 Playa, 22 American Avocets south of Ralls, 39 American
Avocets south of Ralls, 1 Semipalmated Plover at the CR 183 x FM 40 Playa,
4 Stilt Sandpipers south of Crosbyton, 20 Stilt Sandpipers south of Ralls,
25 Stilt Sandpipers south of Ralls, 1 Least Sandpiper at the CR 183 x FM 40
Playa, 2 Least Sandpipers south of Crosbyton, 2 Least Sandpipers south of
Ralls, 2 Least Sandpipers south of Ralls, 2 Pectoral Sandpipers south of
Crosbyton, 7 Semipalmated Sandpipers south of Crosbyton, 4 Western
Sandpipers at the CR 183 x FM 40 Playa, 3 Western Sandpipers south of
Crosbyton, 6 Long-billed Dowitchers south of Crosbyton, 6 Long-billed
Dowitchers south of Ralls, 26 Long-billed Dowitchers south of Ralls, 1
Wilson's Snipe south of Crosbyton, 1 Spotted Sandpiper at White River Lake,
2 Solitary Sandpipers south of Crosbyton, 28 Lesser Yellowlegs at the CR
173 x FM 40 Playa, 26 Lesser Yellowlegs at Crosbyton City Park, 37 Lesser
Yellowlegs south of Crosbyton, 45 Lesser Yellowlegs south of Ralls, 56
Lesser Yellowlegs south of Ralls, 18 Greater Yellowlegs at the CR 173 x FM
40 Playa, 21 Greater Yellowlegs at Crosbyton City Park, 14 Greater
Yellowlegs south of Crosbyton, 15 Greater Yellowlegs south of Ralls, 18
Greater Yellowlegs south of Ralls, 2 Greater Yellowlegs at White River
Lake, 18 Wilson's Phalaropes at the CR 183 x FM 40 Playa, 4 Wilson's
Phalaropes south of Crosbyton, 50 Wilson's Phalaropes south of Ralls, 14
Wilson's Phalaropes south of Ralls, 1 Great Egret at the CR 173 x FM 40
Playa, 1 Great Egret at White River Lake, 2 Snowy Egrets at the CR 173 x FM
40 Playa, 4 Snowy Egrets at Crosbyton City Park, 18 Cattle Egrets at the CR
173 x FM 40 Playa, 59 Cattle Egrets at Crosbyton City Park, 1 Green Heron
at White River Lake, 1 Yellow-crowned Night Heron at Ralls WTP, 2
White-faced Ibises at the CR 173 x FM 40 Playa, 112 White-faced Ibises at
Crosbyton City Park, 29 White-faced Ibises south of Crosbyton, 2
White-faced Ibises south of Lorenzo, 10 White-faced Ibises south of Ralls,
2 White-faced Ibises south of Ralls, 4 adult Red-headed Woodpeckers at the
Camp Rio Blanca crossing, 1 Olive-sided Flycatcher in the woods north of
White River Lake (Great North Woods), 2 Western Wood Pewees in the Great
North Woods, 1 Willow Flycatcher at White River Lake, 1 Eastern Phoebe in
the Great North Woods, 1 Great Crested Flycatcher in the Great North Woods,
1 Warbling Vireo in the Great North Woods, 1 Common Raven at the CR 183 x
FM 40 Playa, 2 Common Ravens at the FM 193 x FM 651 crossing, 2 Common
Ravens near Kalgary, 1 Common Raven south of Crosbyton, 5 Tree Swallows at
Crosbyton City Park, 4 Northern Rough-winged Swallows at Crosbyton City
Park, 1 Northern Rough-winged Swallow in the Great North Woods, 4 Bank
Swallows at Crosbyton City Park, 1 *Carolina Chickadee* in the Great North
Woods, 4 Bushtits at the Camp Rio Blanca crossing, 2 Rock Wrens at the FM
193 x FM 651 crossing, 2 Canyon Wrens at Silver Falls Rest Area, 1 House
Wren in the Great North Woods, 2 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers at the Camp Rio
Blanca crossing, 7 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers in the Great North Woods, 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet in the Great North Woods, 2 Chipping Sparrows
southeast of Mt. Blanco, 2 Field Sparrows in the Great North Woods, 1
Field Sparrow at White River Lake, 2 Yellow-breasted Chats in the Great
North Woods, 1 Yellow-breasted Chat at White River Lake, 2 Yellow-headed
Blackbirds at the CR 189 x FM 193 Playa, 2 male Bronzed Cowbirds in the
Great North Woods, 1 male Bronzed Cowbird at White River Lake, 1 Northern
Waterthrush in the Great North Woods, 1 Nashville Warbler at the FM 193 x
FM 651 crossing, 1 Nashville Warbler at White River Lake, 1 female Common
Yellowthroat in the Great North Woods, 2 male Common Yellowthroats at White
River Lake, 1 Yellow Warbler at the Camp Rio Blanca crossing, 3 Yellow
Warblers at White River Lake, 1 Wilson's Warbler in the Great North Woods,
1 immature male *Lazuli Bunting* in the Great North Woods, 5 Indigo
Buntings in the Great North Woods, 2 Indigo Buntings at White River Lake, 1
immature male Summer Tanager at White River Lake, and 1 adult female
Western Tanager in the Great North Woods.

It was a pretty good day; Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson, Lubbock



------------------------------

From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds...>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 15:01:54 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] Highlights from Tahoka Lake Pasture - Sunday

Greetings All:
Drew Harvey and I visited Tahoka Lake Pasture (Lynn County) for several
hours yesterday morning.

Highlights included: 1 Upland Sandpiper (heard only - Drew), 2 Merlins, 1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker, 1 Willow Flycatcher, 2 Least Flycatchers, 4
Ash-throated Flycatchers, 1 Great Crested Flycatcher, 2 Common Ravens, 1
Tree Swallow, 4 Northern Rough-winged Swallows, 2 Cave Swallows, 1 House
Wren, 4 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, 1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 2 Gray Catbirds (1
seen only - Anthony; 1 heard only - Drew), 1 Vesper Sparrow, 5
Yellow-breasted Chats, 1 Yellow-headed Blackbird, 1 female Orchard Oriole,
2 Nashville Warblers, 1 MacGillivray's Warbler, 4 Yellow Warblers, and 3
Wilson's Warblers.

It was a great morning; Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock



------------------------------

From: Jane F Tillman <jtillman...>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 17:09:11 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] Where to buy binoculars

I'd appreciate your help in giving suggestions on where new birders can
shop to get entry level binoculars - say in the $300 to $500 range.
My usual advice has been to point them to binocular reviews and then to
Eagle Optics, or to visit a birding festival where they can try them out.
Other suggestions have been Cabela's, REI or specialty bird product stores
but I never felt that those retailers' selections were comprehensive
enough. Now that Eagle Optics has changed directions and will no longer be
in online retail, what to do? See their story here
https://www.eagleoptics.com/

Has anyone had experience with Optics4Birding?
http://www.optics4birding.com/
It looks like they have an excellent selection.

Thanks for your help.
Jane Tillman
Austin

P.S. Blue-gray Gnatcatchers are on the move in Austin. It is nice to have
such an apparently successful charismatic bird.



------------------------------

From: Carol <culi...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Where to buy binoculars
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 17:12:55 -0500

I've had luck with B&H photo and video or adorama.

> On Sep 11, 2017, at 5:09 PM, Jane F Tillman <jtillman...> wrote:
>
> I'd appreciate your help in giving suggestions on where new birders can
> shop to get entry level binoculars - say in the $300 to $500 range.
> My usual advice has been to point them to binocular reviews and then to
> Eagle Optics, or to visit a birding festival where they can try them out.
> Other suggestions have been Cabela's, REI or specialty bird product stores
> but I never felt that those retailers' selections were comprehensive
> enough. Now that Eagle Optics has changed directions and will no longer be
> in online retail, what to do? See their story here
> https://www.eagleoptics.com/
>
> Has anyone had experience with Optics4Birding?
> http://www.optics4birding.com/
> It looks like they have an excellent selection.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Jane Tillman
> Austin
>
> P.S. Blue-gray Gnatcatchers are on the move in Austin. It is nice to have
> such an apparently successful charismatic bird.
>
>
> Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
>
> Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
> from the List Owner
>
>


------------------------------

From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair...>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 17:21:54 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Where to buy binoculars

Heh! I had just sent the same recommendation privately!
On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 5:12 PM, Carol <culi...> wrote:

> I've had luck with B&H photo and video or adorama.
>
> > On Sep 11, 2017, at 5:09 PM, Jane F Tillman <jtillman...> wrote:
> >
> > I'd appreciate your help in giving suggestions on where new birders can
> > shop to get entry level binoculars - say in the $300 to $500 range.
> > My usual advice has been to point them to binocular reviews and then to
> > Eagle Optics, or to visit a birding festival where they can try them
out.
> > Other suggestions have been Cabela's, REI or specialty bird product
> stores
> > but I never felt that those retailers' selections were comprehensive
> > enough. Now that Eagle Optics has changed directions and will no longer
> be
> > in online retail, what to do? See their story here
> > https://www.eagleoptics.com/
> >
> > Has anyone had experience with Optics4Birding?
> > http://www.optics4birding.com/
> > It looks like they have an excellent selection.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> > Jane Tillman
> > Austin
> >
> > P.S. Blue-gray Gnatcatchers are on the move in Austin. It is nice to
have
> > such an apparently successful charismatic bird.
> >
> >
> > Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> > http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
> >
> > Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
> permission
> > from the List Owner
> >
> >
>
> Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
>
> Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
> from the List Owner
>
>
>


--
Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member
Kingsville, TX

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein



------------------------------

From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36...>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 18:57:34 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Where to buy binoculars

There are several web sites that rate binoculars in various price ranges.
You can take that to Amazon and there are good evaluations etc.
On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair...>
wrote:

> Heh! I had just sent the same recommendation privately!
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 5:12 PM, Carol <culi...> wrote:
>
> > I've had luck with B&H photo and video or adorama.
> >
> > > On Sep 11, 2017, at 5:09 PM, Jane F Tillman <jtillman...>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd appreciate your help in giving suggestions on where new birders
can
> > > shop to get entry level binoculars - say in the $300 to $500 range.
> > > My usual advice has been to point them to binocular reviews and then
to
> > > Eagle Optics, or to visit a birding festival where they can try them
> out.
> > > Other suggestions have been Cabela's, REI or specialty bird product
> > stores
> > > but I never felt that those retailers' selections were comprehensive
> > > enough. Now that Eagle Optics has changed directions and will no
longer
> > be
> > > in online retail, what to do? See their story here
> > > https://www.eagleoptics.com/
> > >
> > > Has anyone had experience with Optics4Birding?
> > > http://www.optics4birding.com/
> > > It looks like they have an excellent selection.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > > Jane Tillman
> > > Austin
> > >
> > > P.S. Blue-gray Gnatcatchers are on the move in Austin. It is nice to
> have
> > > such an apparently successful charismatic bird.
> > >
> > >
> > > Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> > > http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
> > >
> > > Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
> > permission
> > > from the List Owner
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> > http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
> >
> > Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
> permission
> > from the List Owner
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
> TOS Life Member
> Kingsville, TX
>
> "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
> thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
>
>
> Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
>
> Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
> from the List Owner
>
>
>


--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston
<Josephkennedy36...>



------------------------------

From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Where to buy binoculars
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 00:08:03 +0000

Hi all -
If you would like to keep your dollars within Texas, consider buying your
next binocular at Land, Sea, and Sky (aka Texas Nautical Repair) in Houston.

https://www.landseaskyco.com

(I hope that their store escaped the wrath of Harvey)

They are one of the top astronomy dealers in the country, and stock a great
selection of binoculars. They are the optics partner for Houston
Audubon, and support the High Island Spring Birding events.

They have been regularly appearing at the Galveston FeatherFest, and this
past year have been the primary optics seller at the HummerBird Festival in
Rockport, the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival, the whooping Crane
Celebration in Port Aransas, and most recently at the West TX Hummingbird
Festival in Fort Davis.

Give them a call or check out their website - they have a great staff and I
love stopping at their store to play with the newest Astro scopes.


Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Swarovski Optik N.A.
(Calallen) Corpus Christi, TX

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 11, 2017, at 6:10 PM, Jane F Tillman <jtillman...><mailto:jt
<illman...>> wrote:

I'd appreciate your help in giving suggestions on where new birders can
shop to get entry level binoculars - say in the $300 to $500 range.
My usual advice has been to point them to binocular reviews and then to
Eagle Optics, or to visit a birding festival where they can try them out.
Other suggestions have been Cabela's, REI or specialty bird product stores
but I never felt that those retailers' selections were comprehensive
enough. Now that Eagle Optics has changed directions and will no longer be
in online retail, what to do? See their story here
https://www.eagleoptics.com/

Has anyone had experience with Optics4Birding?
http://www.optics4birding.com/
It looks like they have an excellent selection.

Thanks for your help.
Jane Tillman
Austin

P.S. Blue-gray Gnatcatchers are on the move in Austin. It is nice to have
such an apparently successful charismatic bird.


Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking permission
from the List Owner




------------------------------

From: Fred Collins <fcndc...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Where to buy binoculars
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 20:30:52 -0500

Every scope and pair of binoculars I ever purchased were at Land Sea and
Sky. My Dad bought me a spotting scope there in 1964. My wife and I bought
two new pairs of binoculars there recently. It's been a quality and
reliable supplier for three generations. My grandfather introduced me to
the owner in the 60s and I met an apprentice I would know for 50 years. He
became the owner and recently sold the business to the current owners. I
think they are as committed as Leslie was and I hope to someday buy my
grandchildren binoculars their should they want some.

I like to buy local but mostly I want to buy the best from the best. I know
they will always stand by what they sell.

Fred Collins
Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 11, 2017, at 7:08 PM, Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor...>
wrote:
>
> Hi all -
> If you would like to keep your dollars within Texas, consider buying your
next binocular at Land, Sea, and Sky (aka Texas Nautical Repair) in Houston.
>
> https://www.landseaskyco.com
>
> (I hope that their store escaped the wrath of Harvey)
>
> They are one of the top astronomy dealers in the country, and stock a
great selection of binoculars. They are the optics partner for Houston
Audubon, and support the High Island Spring Birding events.
>
> They have been regularly appearing at the Galveston FeatherFest, and this
past year have been the primary optics seller at the HummerBird Festival in
Rockport, the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival, the whooping Crane
Celebration in Port Aransas, and most recently at the West TX Hummingbird
Festival in Fort Davis.
>
> Give them a call or check out their website - they have a great staff and
I love stopping at their store to play with the newest Astro scopes.
>
>
> Clay Taylor
> TOS Life Member
> Swarovski Optik N.A.
> (Calallen) Corpus Christi, TX
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 11, 2017, at 6:10 PM, Jane F Tillman <jtillman...><mailto:jt
<illman...>> wrote:
>
> I'd appreciate your help in giving suggestions on where new birders can
> shop to get entry level binoculars - say in the $300 to $500 range.
> My usual advice has been to point them to binocular reviews and then to
> Eagle Optics, or to visit a birding festival where they can try them out.
> Other suggestions have been Cabela's, REI or specialty bird product stores
> but I never felt that those retailers' selections were comprehensive
> enough. Now that Eagle Optics has changed directions and will no longer be
> in online retail, what to do? See their story here
> https://www.eagleoptics.com/
>
> Has anyone had experience with Optics4Birding?
> http://www.optics4birding.com/
> It looks like they have an excellent selection.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Jane Tillman
> Austin
>
> P.S. Blue-gray Gnatcatchers are on the move in Austin. It is nice to have
> such an apparently successful charismatic bird.
>
>
> Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
>
> Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
> from the List Owner
>
>
>
> Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
>
> Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
> from the List Owner
>
>
>

____________________________________________________________
Feel Years Younger By Boosting Your Stem Cells At Home
LCR Health
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/59b738cfbfff38cd21fbst04vuc

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 20:55:27 -0500
Subject: [texbirds] Binoculars
From: "Joann E. Thompson" <joann510...>

I left my binoculars on my back porch. It rained! Land, Sea and Air
dried then out and fixed them up as goid as new. Fair price.
Joann Thompson
SWHouston
Take time to Bird
------------------------------

End of texbirds Digest V6 #248
******************************


Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking permission
from the List Owner


 
Join us on Facebook!