Date: 9/12/17 5:50 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Mount Watatic (12 Sep 2017) 1170 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Brian Rusnica

Observers:

Visitors:
Mike Koechlin, Tom Nallen, Dick Staub.

Weather:
Warm with ice blue cloudless skies all day, a light W wind that trended
toward WSW in the afternoon. Temps 56-78F.

Raptor Observations:
An explosive 2 hours, from 11am-1pm EDT carried today's count. We had some
of the best looks at Broad-winged Hawks thus far this season, with low
altitude kettles and streams visible naked-eye from the summit. Groups of
100, 120, 75 and finally 250 wowed our visitors today. In general, the
flight was lower and headed very much into the westerly winds. The
afternoon numbers dropped off severely after 1:30pm EDT.

A sharp-shinned hawk made a pass at the plastic owl in the afternoon.

Non-migrant Raptors:
15 Turkey Vulture / 4 Red-tailed Hawk / 3 Bald Eagle / 1 Red-shouldered
Hawk

Non-raptor Observations:
10 Common Raven / 1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Predictions:
Warm and dry again, with increasing cloud cover in the afternoon. Winds
forecasted as light, coming from the WNW and changing to WSW late. Sounds
similar to today's weather.
Report submitted by Brian Rusnica (<brian_rusnica...>)
Mount Watatic information may be found at:
http://massbird.org/EMHW/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=229

Join us on Facebook!