Date: 9/12/17 4:17 pm
From: J Christian Kessler <1northraven...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Some Birding Resources
Jane --
this looks like a lot of research & collation. Very helpful for many of
us, in particular those of us who started birding (in elementary school)
when computers were the size of garages & full of tubes, & had nothing to
do with us. Your guidance in moving me towards the technologies of the
current decade is fun & much appreciated.

Chris Kessler
Seattle

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Jane Hadley <hadleyj1725...> wrote:

> Welcome, Peggy Mundy, to Tweeters! Peggy mentioned that she looks forward
> to learning about birding resources from Tweeters.
>
> A year or two ago, I put together a list of birding resources for another
> project and thought I would update the list and share it here for those who
> might be interested.
>
> 1. eBird – A major database where birders enter their sightings and
> photos. The data is available to be used by scientists and other birders.
> This Cornell University Lab of Ornithology database provides a wealth of
> information about sightings, seasonal occurrence and geographical
> distribution of species.
>

> Go to: http://help.ebird.org/customer/en/portal/topics/
> 439564-getting-started/articles
>

> There is a Pacific Northwest version of eBird with Northwest-specific
> articles and other content, including opportunities to participate in
> citizen science projects.
>
> Go to: http://ebird.org/content/nw/
>

> 2. Birder's Dashboard - This is a non-commercial, user-friendly website
> (with desktop and mobile or cell phone versions) that shows recent
> sightings reported to eBird. You can see notable sightings in a state,
> sightings by county, sightings near any spot you click on on a map,
> sightings of a particular species you select, or sightings at designated
> hotspots in the state or province you select. There is a Washington State
> and a US/Canada version.
>
> The Washington State version allows you to get sightings for the whole
> state or for any of the 39 counties you select.
>
> Go to: http://birdingwashington.info/dashboard/wa/
>

> For the United States and Canada version, select a state or a province to
> look for recent sightings.
>
> Go to: http://birdingwashington.info/dashboard/
>

> Click on the “Mobile” button to see the mobile or cell phone version.
>

> 3. A Birder's Guide to Washington, Second Edition - This is a 613-page
> guide to the best birding sites throughout the state with information about
> how to get there (including maps), the habitat, the climate, the birds,
> etc. The guide also includes bar graphs for all annually occurring birds,
> showing their seasonal abundance in both Eastern and Western Washington, as
> well as an annotated checklist of the 510 species seen in Washington as of
> 2015.
>

> The content of this book was placed online this year so that it can be
> updated with current information. You can either buy the book (Seattle
> Audubon's Nature Store, Buteo Books, Amazon.com, Powell Books, etc.) or you
> can view it online at http://wabirdguide.org
>

> This website is a good place to check for current information before you
> head out to a birding spot.
>

> 4. Seattle Audubon's BirdWeb - This is a fount of information about bird
> species found in the state. It gives a description of each species that
> helps with ID, range map for that species, song recordings, and information
> [...]

"moderation in everything, including moderation"
Rustin Thompson