Date: 9/12/17 1:50 pm
From: Todd Kiraly via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Caspian Tern — No. VA/DC Leg tag 9/9/17 Dangerfield Island
Thought I would share this info since there have been quite a few people out viewing the Sabine’s Gull off of Daingerfield Island in Alexandria/DC area. I kayaked the area early on Sept. 9 and stumbled upon a Caspian Tern, resting on a floating log, just around the corner South of where the Sabine’s Gull has been hanging out. It was about 8:30 a.m. and could clearly see this white left leg tag “AJF”. I followed-up with the U. S. Geological Service/Canadian Wildlife Service and received a certificate of info late last night. Last year I shared a similar sighting for a couple of banded Caspian Terns off of Hunting Creek that had one bird that I could clearly make out its white leg tag “AEA”. As a coincidence, I just went back to the filing and noticed that it was almost a year-to-the-day that I saw that Tern which was on 9/11/16. Both Caspians were banded at Gull Island on Lake Ontario in 2008. I found it interesting, that after locating Gull Island on a map, how closely it is aligned to being exactly North of Washington DC (Lake Ontario Longitude 77.4270°/ Washington DC 77.0369°).

For this sighting from Saturday here is the info on this particular Caspian as it was also tagged at Gull Island (Lake Ontario) by the same bander at the same time in 07/02/2008.

Sep. 9, 2017
Sighting Caspian Tern — Daingerfield Island, Alexandria VA just south of Washington DC

http://www.haussparrow.com/Photography/Newly-Added/i-7zDwg4c/A <http://www.haussparrow.com/Photography/Newly-Added/i-7zDwg4c/A>

White leg tag — “AJF”
This bird was banded on 07/02/08 on Gull Island (Lake Ontario)- 4 Miles South of Brighton, Ontario, Canada. At the time of banding the age of the bird “was too young to fly when banded in 2008). The certificate also listed a Band Number of 1045-35694.”

Sep. 11, 2016
Sighting Caspian Tern — Hunting Creek, Alexandria VA just south of Washington DC

http://www.haussparrow.com/Photography/Waterfowl-Marsh-Birds/i-cQCfFxd/A

White leg tag — “AEA”
This bird was banded on 07/02/08 on Gull Island (Lake Ontario)- 4 Miles South of Brighton, Ontario, Canada. At the time of banding the age of the bird “was too young to fly when banded in 2008). The certificate also listed a Band Number of 1045-35637.”

-Todd Kiraly
Arlington, VA