Date: 9/12/17 1:22 pm
Subject: Re: 11 Hudsonian Godwits, Lake Wheeler
Copied from my Birds of North Carolina website, for Hudsonian Godwit:

*Coastal Plain* .....
Peak counts: 16, Cape Hatteras, 29 Aug 1998; 15, resting on the ocean off
Oregon Inlet, 25 Aug 1990; 15 at Rodanthe (*Dare*), 8 Sep 2009.

*Piedmont* Casual fall transient (only in the eastern portion), with three
records: 1, Falls Lake, 21-23 Aug 1999; 2, Falls Lake, 11-15 Sep 1988; and
1 (photographed), Lake Wheeler (*Wake*), 27 Aug 2011*.

*Mountains* Accidental fall transient; one record -- 3 at Hooper Lane (
*Henderson*), 8 Sep 2004* (after Tropical Storm Frances) [Chat 69:49 link
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.carolinabirdclub.org_chat_chatpage.php-3Fvol-3D69-26page-3D49&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=diwY9FtwuvJ2fK4vwbLCi4vWO18-mIDCR001R6wvEwU&s=pUwsX5-qyW-0-Niw2lOXT_S_KYYr-HJbgFvKgEl5h9E&e= >].

-----

Thus, Michael O'Brien's 20 or so from shore this season would be a state
record, if it gets published in The Chat (I don't pull data off eBird,
carolinabirds, etc. -- but wait until records get officially published in
The Chat or North American Birds before I include them on the website.)

As you can see, the 11 Hudsonians today at Lake Wheeler destroy the

I agree with Brian that Hudsonian Godwits don't put down inland unless
there is some (mostly nighttime?) storminess, etc. Certainly doesn't have
to be a tropical system. And, winds don't HAVE to be strong from the E or
NE to force them inland. They nest well inland in Canada and migrate SE
over inland USA and continue their fall migration south over the ocean or
along the immediate coast. So, we can't assume these 11 birds blew inland
from their migration over the ocean. Recall also that Willets, Marbled
Godwits, and Long-billed Curlews also nest far inland and do not normally
stop at inland lakes unless there is a nighttime storm that forces them
down. Thus, whether the godwits were migrating TOWARD the coast and were
forced down, or were already migrating south over the ocean and were
carried inland by strong NE winds and then forced down, I guess we may
never know. (Presumably they were not carried in the eye of Irma up FL and
then dropped out in NC; that doesn't compute.)

Enjoy them while they are still here -- I did around 12:30 today. Thanks
for the quick word on c-birds.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh