Date: 9/12/17 10:54 am
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Malheur Narrows Egrets
I received this from a very experienced birder who has birded Asia extensively:

1. It seems clear it’s not a Little Blue (e.g. definite black in the legs). I think the distribution of dark pigmentation is also wrong,
2. You might want to start thinking out-of-the-box on the ‘Cattle Egret’, which is clearly not a Cattle Egret. I think the lime-green in legs may rule out Swinhoe’s (Chinese) Egret but I think it’s worth investigating that possibility. FWIW, the described behavior is probably consistent with Swinhoe’s, but also with Snowy.

Jeff Gilligan

> On Sep 12, 2017, at 9:22 AM, Matt Cahill <matt.c.cahill...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I went and watched the herons and egrets at the Narrows yesterday afternoon for about an hour. All of the suspect birds were in attendance - the snowy egret was in the eastern pond, the cattle egret / little blue were in the small pond between the road sections.
>
> As many have surmised, it's a surprisingly difficult ID on those two small egrets-herons. There's plenty of photos and comments on plumage already. I'd add to the discussion, the 'personalities' of the two birds were quite different. The suspect little blue behaved much more cautiously than the cattle egret, moving more slowly around the pond and watching the water with it's neck extended for long periods of time. The cattle egret arrived after I did, and immediately set forth hunting the pond, covering the same shoreline as the little blue in a fraction of the time. I watched it aggressively chase the little blue several times, and bully it for a fish meal.
>
> Not that individuals of the same species can't have different personalities, nor to deny the subjectivity involved, but those 'personalities' matched my expectations for both birds. I spent lots of hours in the Florida Keys watching little blues and they always appeared coy and bookish. And cattle egrets, well they can sure seem like bullies to me.
>
> My ebird checklist is here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39142883 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39142883>
>
> No herons of any species were at the Narrows this morning around 8, but it was early still. 30+ greater yellowlegs were standing around.
>
> Good birding,
> Matt Cahill
> Bend

Join us on Facebook!