Date: 9/12/17 10:22 am
From: Eric Ollie <uphawkeye...>
Subject: Re: [ia-bird] Nikon D40 Camera
If you buying a camera primarily for birds, with a DSLR you need at least
300mm lens to be able to have any real chance at getting good results. The
birds still have to be fairly close, though. A 400mm lens will suffice
maybe 80-90% of the time, so that is where I would start. A 400mm with a
1.4x extender or a 500mm lens is what really gets you in the game, but that
is really getting pricey at that point.

Unless you are willing to commit significant $$$ to your bird photography,
I would otherwise recommend getting a "super-zoom" point-and-shoot camera.
Much smaller, lighter, easier to use and cheaper than going the DSLR route
with incredible zoom and picture quality. Canon and Nikon make some great
cameras in this category.

Eric Ollie
Ames