Date: 9/11/17 1:29 pm
From: Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] noteworthy stuff, 9/10
This morning in Encinitas I was able to see that there at least 2 male "Costa's" hummers- one had the usual purple gorget and crown, and sang the Costa's fight song. The other male has the rosy crown with purple gorget and sings the Anna's song (very weakly). It appeared to me this morning that there is also some reddish coloration on the chin and upper throat that I didn't notice last night.

Sent from my iPad

> On Sep 11, 2017, at 12:38 AM, Matt Sadowski <mattsadowski321...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...> wrote:
>
> The adult white morph Red-footed Booby put in an appearance close to
> shore off the south end of Border Field State Park from 9:51 to 10:02.
> It was circling a flock of Western Gulls sitting in the water beyond the
> breakers when I first laid eyes on it. It dove once, circled a few more
> times, and eventually headed straight out west. The eBird list will be
> updated with complete notes and more photos tomorrow.
>
> The adult male Broad-tailed Hummingbird in Encinitas put in a brief
> appearance at dusk (18:59) to the front yard feeders (too quick and too
> dark for any decent photos). Morning still seems to be the best time to
> see this bird and get nice photos.
>
> Also of interest at the Encinitas spot was an adult male Anna's x
> Costa's Hummingbird. Shape-wise it looked like a Costa's with long
> gorget extensions and a short tail (complete with typical Costa's
> tail-wagging motion when hovering). The iridescence on the gorget
> extensions looked more violet while the iridescence on parts of the head
> looked more like the typical rose color of an Anna's. Glancing at my
> photos some adjacent feathers on the head and throat show a patchy
> distribution of different colored iridescence. The apparent color of
> iridescence is of course highly depend on angle and lighting so is not
> that reliable. The clincher was the fact that the bird sang the complex
> Anna's song (noticeably sloppy) but also gave a dry twittering chase
> call typical of Costa's. Ebird list with photos will be entered tomorrow.
>
> Matt Sadowski

Join us on Facebook!