Date: 9/10/17 10:04 am
From: Cole Winstanley <crw2998...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Nocturnal Flight Calls & migration
Hi Birders,

I had similar experiences to this in Concord - the best nocturnal flight I’ve had here by far. On Friday I had an NFC recording session that had very proportions of birds to Tim’s list, though I didn’t have the Thrushes, probably due to insect/road noise in my yard. My list is at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39102942 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39102942>. There is a screenshot of the radar signature of the flight in the comments on the list.

I found some migrants in the day in my yard and in Estabrook Woods, but like Tim, there was nothing to suggest there was a huge flight the night before.

Good birding!

Cole Winstanley
Concord, MA
<crw2998...>

> On Sep 10, 2017, at 12:18 PM, Tim Spahr <tspahr44...> wrote:
>
> Hi Birders,
>
> The last two nights have seen very impressive numbers of migrants evident in radar images for the eastern United States. I also detected very large numbers of migrants recording nocturnal flight calls (NFCs) from home in Marlborough. In fact, the night of September 8/9 produced the best night flight I have had here in years. In addition to large numbers of warblers, I was able to confirm a Dickcissel and an Upland Sandpiper. This checklist is here:
>
> http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39083218 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39083218>
>

> Note this checklist has samples (which I hope I have properly identified!) of NFCs for various warblers.
>

> I have also poked around locally in Westborough and Marlborough, and surprisingly found relatively little evidence of migration! I can postulate that under good conditions the birds fly at night and rest during the day with minimal feeding and activity. Still, given the impressive radar signature, I was very surprised to not detect much around these last two days.
>
> Good birding
>
> Tim Spahr
> Marlborough
> <tspahr44...> <mailto:<tspahr44...>