Date: 9/9/17 9:36 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Re: FRR Possible Clay-colored Sparrow
Two birds. The first does not have a pale median line through the crown. The second one does. The dark eye line extends to the lores on the first and the second bird not. The second bird has the supercillium and the submustachial gleaming white, typical of Ash- colored. The Chipping is darker in these areas. Spixella pallid is well named, as it is a noticeably paler bird than any of our ‘normal’ sparrows (Tree Sparrows also are quite pale).

So you did well.
Larry

> On Sep 9, 2017, at 9:29 AM, John Sullivan (Redacted sender "Oropendolas" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> Yesterday afternoon Sally Hill and I saw a Sparrow feeding with a flock of Goldfinch on Royal Ave that we originally called a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW. We were looking through scopes from about 40 yards. We then saw what we thought was the same bird in the brush beside the road that turned out to be a winter CHIPPING SPARROW. Grayish breast and gray rump (rump not shown in photos) and dark lores led to Chipping ID conclusion. Looking at my photos this morning, I believe we saw two different birds. Brighter white supercillium, malar stripe and central crown stripe along with browner breast make me think the bird on the ground is actually a Clay-colored Sparrow. Three poor, heavily cropped photos of Spizella sp. in eBird report are all the same bird. What do you think?

> John Sullivan
> Springfield, OR
>
> Sent from my iPad
>

> Sent from my iPad
> POST: Send your post to <obol...>

<Iʋ-Wyb(N ӑABi0zX+bnNڭb0yb(ڭbnB{Zr٨uڶnf׫j+zX+

Join us on Facebook!