Date: 9/9/17 8:25 pm
From: zzedpowers <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Lake Michigan lakefront

Stockbridge Audubon gathered five birders in Fort Wayne for a field trip to the lakefront on a beautiful day, cool early but warming into the 70s later.

We started at Michigan City Harbor, hoping in vain for a Little Gull, but setting for a big one -- a Great Black-backed Gull. Four Sanderlings were a treat, and we were surprised by a small flock of early Snow Geese.

Michigan City Harbor, LaPorte, Indiana, US
Sep 9, 2017 9:15 AM - 10:20 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.3 mile(s)
10 species (+1 other taxa)

Snow Goose 7 Seven geese in a tight group, flying overhead; 5 "Blue", 2 white
Double-crested Cormorant 10
Sanderling 4
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Ring-billed Gull 300
Herring Gull 50
Great Black-backed Gull 1 Very large gull, black back, white head and underparts. Standing on beach with Ring-billed and Herring Gulls
tern sp. 25 Sterna
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
American Crow 1
Barn Swallow 8

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39098639

Driving along Beverly Drive, we were astounded by a huge flock of Palm Warblers, more of any warbler species in one place than any of us could remember.

Beverly Shores--Beverly Drive Central, Broadway to Lake Shore County Road, Porter, Indiana, US
Sep 9, 2017 10:25 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
17 species

Canada Goose 15
Wood Duck 5
Mallard 3
Great Blue Heron 1
Great Egret 1
Turkey Vulture 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 2
Broad-winged Hawk 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Eastern Bluebird 2
American Robin 1
European Starling X
Palm Warbler 60 best guess -- they really were uncountable
Red-winged Blackbird 2
American Goldfinch 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39098780

A visit to Miller Beach, Lake Street, was prolonged by my getting my car grounded on a curb, requiring a tow truck to wince it off. The others walked a trail while waiting.

Miller Beach, Lake Street, Lake, Indiana, US
Sep 9, 2017 12:00 PM - 1:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
4 species

Ring-billed Gull 30
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Swainson's Thrush 1
Bay-breasted Warbler 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39098869

In spite of the delay, we agreed to head for Lakefront Park in Hammond. We were rewarded for our decision by Red-breasted Nuthatch and five warblers, including Connecticut.

Lakefront Park and Sanctuary, Hammond, Lake, Indiana, US
Sep 9, 2017 3:30 PM - 5:05 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
20 species