Date: 9/9/17 6:39 pm
From: Samuel Miller <srmiller2022...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Migration last night
Nocturnal flight call activity has been reflective of these observations as
well. Two nights ago I had over 200 warbler calls during the 7 hour
recording period representing 17 warbler species. Many of these calls were
"zeep complex" calls and a handful of them produced identifiable
spectrograms. So far tonight there seems to be a good number of
Bay-breasted Warblers flying as well as a noticable increase in Rose-
breasted Grosbeaks. We'll see how this translates to ground birding
tomorrow.

- Sam Miller
Gambrills, MD

On Sep 9, 2017 9:05 PM, "Gail Mackiernan" <katahdinss...> wrote:

Hi all,

It is obvious from the counts at Cape May and the experiences of many
birders around here (including us) that last night we had a major movement
of birds over a wide front. It is almost like a dam broke! Last week we
were in Maine and visited the migratory hotspot of Cousin Island near
Yarmouth three times, all nights with the ideal NW winds. Although we had
some good days, they were not overwhelming. Well today the counter there,
Derrick Lovitch, was overwhelmed by almost 4000 birds, with all-time high
counts of many species. I can imagine other sites had similar experiences.
Any other birders in this area have major flights?

Gail Mackiernan
Colesville, MD

Sent from my iPad

'Maryland & DC Birding'.
To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on
the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here -
http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html