Date: 9/9/17 6:10 am
From: plm108 <plm108...>
Subject: Re: [GABO-L] Storm Birds and Birding
For all, I've copied the last few paragraphs from the eBird notification as a reminder to note the time any pelagic bird is seen (vs the full report time unless these are one in the same).

From eBird:
With safety the absolute highest priority, birders that can see inland bodies of water in Georgia, western Alabama, and Tennessee may encounter significant numbers of hurricane-blown birds. Some areas of western South Carolina may also see storm birds. Areas east of the storm track are typically best. The storm could move birds well inland to the north, surely including north Georgia, Tennessee, and even Kentucky. Below are a few ideas, but almost any sizable reservoir or wide area on a river could be excellent. Note that birds often move along rivers in an attempt to return to the ocean, but that watching from a dam, natural wide area, or upstream side of a bridge can be ideal since birds may stall, circle, or stop when they reach obstructions.Georgia, Lake Lanier, Carter’s Lake, West Point Dam area(And don't forget the string of lakes along eastern edge of Georgia and South Carolina: Lake Hartwell, Lake Wheeler, Strom Thurmond)If you do survey a site for birds, please keep a detailed eBird list. And if you note storm birds, please take note of the time that you observe them, as this helps to understand how birds move with and within the storm.Farnsworth, Davies, Van Doren, and Iliff (ebird Team)
Patty McLean, Tucker GA

-------- Original message --------From: world oceans <world.oceans7...> Date: 9/9/17 7:34 AM (GMT-06:00) To: plm108 <plm108...> Cc: <GABO-L...> Subject: Re: [GABO-L] Storm Birds and Birding
Thanks, Patty, for this excellent advice and reminders! This could be one
of the most important weeks of the year in terms of what we all
observe...the combination of typically very exciting mid-September
migration, and two of the most horrendous storms we have ever seen, offers
mind-boggling possibilities. In the interest of all, I would like to second
Patty's motion that we all try to get the word out quickly....particularly
to GABO, so folks can instantly join the race towards any potential
rarities, and Ebird so that whatever we observe goes quickly into the most
scientific and substantial data pool.

Indeed, any lake and pond should be checked -- and don't forget about the
Chattahoochee! My former home state of Maryland is currently enjoying a
Sabine's Gull well up the Potomac River (they also had a Sharp-tailed
Sandpiper this week near the coast!) Finally, of course, prayers and best
wishes to all the people in Texas, Florida, and the eastern Caribbean. They
are going to need lots of help in the days ahead.

Thanks again, Patty, and good birding to all --

James Gibson
Clayton Co.