Date: 9/8/17 5:42 pm
From: Preston Lust via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Westport Yard Nocturnal Migrants 9/7-8/17
9/7-8/17, 9:30 PM-6:00 AM -- Yard Westport

I just finished looking through the results of last night's/this morning's nocturnal flight recordings (Old Bird 21c Microphone mounted on roof), which proved to be some of the most numerous in my experience. After sorting through insect noise and other non-bird noise, I counted a total of 1,934 calls. The highlights of the night's flight were (numbers individuals estimated very conservatively): 3 gray-cheeked thrushes, 30 ovenbirds, 3 MOURNING WARBLERS, 50 common yellowthroats, 120 AMERICAN REDSTARTS, 14 CAPE MAY WARBLERS (numbers of CMWA have been increasing in nocturnal/morning flight surveys across the Northeast) , 40 CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLERS, and a whopping 298 WARBLERS SP. (unidentifiable complexes – of which the main contributors were likely black-throated green warbler and magnolia warbler). Hopefully tomorrow produces similarly.

Preston Lust, Westport