Date: 9/8/17 2:46 pm
From: Jim Danzenbaker <jdanzenbaker...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Shillapoo Lake, Clark County - BOBOLINKs
Hi Tweeters,

It was an exciting day to be birding in Clark County today.

I visited Shillapoo Lake which is north of Vancouver Lake in southwestern
Clark County this morning since somebody had reported a Black-bellied
Plover there yesterday. When I arrived, I immediately heard the sound of
shorebirds - great! I counted the following:

Greater Yellowlegs - 34
Lesser Yellowlegs - 14
SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER - 1 (new for the county for me this year)
Least Sandpiper - 21
Western Sandpiper - 4
SANDERLING - 1 (first time in the county for me!!!)
Semipalmated Plover - 1 (new for the county for me this year)
Wilson's Snipe - 9
Killdeer - 6

While I was there, I heard a familiar flight call overhead and immediately
found the *pinkers* - two BOBOLINKs! This may be a first record for the
county! The birds initially flew west to east but 15 or so minutes later,
I heard them fly back overhead and followed them until they appeared to
descend into a corn field beyond the westernmost ponds. Each time, I noted
the buffy color and the distinctive shape of a Bobolink - relatively little
head projection (at least to my eyes) and slighter than Red-winged and
Brewer's Blackbirds with more pointed wings. Randy Hill and Les Carlson
soon joined me and we were lucky enough to have at least one of them (maybe
both) fly overhead again heading east apparently descending into a corn
field again. We did not see nor hear them after that.

We then visited a feeder channel to Vancouver Lake and found a Solitary
Sandpiper, another county first for the year for me.

We then headed to Port of Vancouver Pond where Randy and Les had said that
there was a huge congregation of egrets. We no sooner got our of the cars
and we were looking at 2 SNOWY EGRETs among about 120 Great Egrets and 20+
Great Blue Herons. Again, another new county year bird for me.

Wow, there are shorebirds in Clark County!

Keep your eyes and ears skyward.

Jim
--
Jim Danzenbaker