Date: 9/8/17 7:29 am
From: Carol Riddell <cariddellwa...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Swallow-tailed Gull returned to Edmonds Friday Morning
As of 7 a.m., the STGU was already among the other gulls at rest on the north end of the marina's south breakwater. It may well move to the south end of the north breakwater, as it did yesterday. It will be best seen from the south end of the Edmonds public pier. You can reach it by coming west on SR 104 from either direction on I-5. There is a traffic signal at SR 104 and Dayton Avenue, near the ferry toll booth. Turn left on Dayton and drive west, across the railroad tracks. There is a parking lot on your right just after you cross Railroad Avenue. There is also street parking.

There is a frenzy of salmon fishing going on right now. Although the pier is multi-use, please be mindful that those fishing need room to cast. If you watch the gull from along the east side of the pier, you should be out of the way of those fishing off the west side. Two Orcas were at the marina entrance when I arrived. Harbor porpoises were offshore.

The gull is nocturnal because it feeds on squid and small fishes that come to the surface at night. It rests during the day. Therefore, I think it most likely that it will remain on the breakwater all day and until it returns to feeding tonight. This should be a good day for viewing.

Carol Riddell
Tweeters mailing list
<Tweeters...>