Date: 9/7/17 6:04 pm
From: Henry Armknecht <armknecht...>
Subject: Re: Playa
Robert gave an accurate answer. I also grew up in NW KS and we called them lagoons. Not sure that there even were sewer lagoons at that time. Farmers in the area still call them lagoons - which could be good information for birders who are in western KS looking for water to bird.

Water in the lagoons was always a good sign. At least we had some rain and would maybe have a crop that year. The memory of the toads singing when the lagoons had water is still a favorite of my childhood.

For the most part, we didn't know the names most of the birds, but the whirling ones (phalaropes) were always fascinating.

Henry A
Hays