Date: 9/7/17 3:23 pm
From: Robert Penner <rpenner...>
Subject: Re: Playa
That’s a great question Dick, and the term playa was first used by Spanish explorers that found these sites. The definition for a playa is also a flat-floored bottom of an undrained desert basin that becomes at times a shallow lake. Or for Kansas a shallow basin with no outlet which periodically fills with water to form a temporary lake.

Robert L. Penner II Ph.D. The Nature Conservancy
Cheyenne Bottoms & Avian 593 NE 130 Avenue
Programs Manager Ellinwood, KS 67526

Chair, WHSRN-US Committee
U.S. Shorebird Conservation Plan Council

(620) 786-4745
<rpenner...>