Date: 9/7/17 7:18 am
From: Wayne Weber <contopus...>
Subject: RE: [Tweeters] RFI Northern Pygmy Owls, Methow Valley
Emily and Tweeters,

Northern Pygmy-Owls are altitudinal migrants, and they tend to breed at higher altitudes. My experience in the southern interior of BC, in very similar habitats to the Methow Valley, is that they are rarely seen in summer below 3500 feet altitude, and are usually in heavily forested areas. Early September is still summer for Pygmy-Owls.

In winter, however, they descend to valley bottom, and are often seen in open forest. The Penticton, BC Christmas Bird Count, for instance, averages 5 or 6 Pygmy-Owls, and has had as many as 17 of them. Pygmy-Owls are diurnal (day-active), often perch at the top of a tree, and are usually easy to see if they are present.

If you really want to see Northern Pygmy-Owl, I would suggest that you join one of the midwinter WOS field trips to Okanogan County, which last 2 or 3 days. There is one such trip almost every winter, and some winters there have been two trips. These trips nearly always find Northern Pygmy-Owl, as well as many other bird species which are hard or impossible to find on the west side.

Good luck!

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

<contopus...>