Date: 9/6/17 5:36 pm
From: Dyl Pedro via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Old Lyme highlights 9-6, Western Sandpiper
In celebration of beach off-season, and perhaps serendipitously World Shorebirds Day, I went to Griswold Point this morning as the tides finally aligned.

I walked all around the point and hadn't had much, until I came back to the spit where you cross and found the tide was already rising past it. I had to wade at this point anyway so I stuck around to observe all the shorebirds scramble to find higher ground around me. Among the hundred+ Semipalmated Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plovers, and Least Sandpipers was a Western Sandpiper! Luckily it landed right in front of me so I didn't have to search too hard.

Other highlights were a Clapper Rail, several Saltmarsh Sparrows, several Marsh Wrens, and my first migrant Savannah Sparrows of the season.

Interestingly as I walked back to my car at White Sands Beach, all the Semipalmated Plovers flew east down the shoreline, perhaps having run out of space with the rising tide

List with pics:

Good birding!
Dylan