Date: 9/6/17 5:26 am
From: Kearns, Amy <AKearns...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] No Hudsonian godwit GPFWA
NO godwit in GP8 this morning.

Amy Kearns, Mitchell
Lee Sterrenburg, Bloomington

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 5, 2017, at 7:19 PM, Kearns, Amy <AKearns...><mailto:<AKearns...>> wrote:

Today at Goose Pond FWA, Greene County, Allisyn Gillet and I counted 552 individual shorebirds of 15 species. The most numerous were killdeer (231) and pectoral sandpiper (132). Shorebird highlights were American golden plover, Hudsonian godwit, Sanderling, and Wilson's phalarope.

We saw our first American white pelicans (12) and Northern shovelers (16) of the fall season. Teal numbers are building with 354 blue-winged and 36 green-winged recorded.

We also witnessed a pretty exciting chain of events involving 5 individual raptors of 4 different species - notes below in MPW checklist.

Goose Pond FWA--GP4, Greene, Indiana, US
Sep 5, 2017 7:25 AM - 7:59 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance a water l. From the levee.
17 species

Wood Duck 9
Blue-winged Teal 3
Mallard 6
Wild Turkey 9
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 1
Great Egret 1
Green Heron 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 2
Common Gallinule 13 Including 6 downy young
Semipalmated Plover 1
Killdeer 79 Estimated
Pectoral Sandpiper 49 Exact count
Lesser Yellowlegs 6
American Crow 5
Song Sparrow 2
Bobolink 1
American Goldfinch 7

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39012172

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP2, Greene, Indiana, US
Sep 5, 2017 7:59 AM - 8:10 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance a water h
6 species

Wood Duck 13
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Carolina Chickadee 1
Gray Catbird 1
Northern Cardinal 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39012262

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP5N, Greene, Indiana, US
Sep 5, 2017 8:17 AM - 8:26 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance a water l
11 species

Wood Duck 40
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 1
Killdeer 4
Eastern Kingbird 1
Warbling Vireo (Eastern) 1
Tree Swallow 3
Common Yellowthroat 2
Song Sparrow 1
Bobolink 1
Red-winged Blackbird 1
American Goldfinch 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39012408

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--Main Pool East, Greene, Indiana, US
Sep 5, 2017 8:30 AM - 9:47 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance a water n
33 species

Canada Goose 25
Wood Duck 94
Blue-winged Teal 239
Mallard 34
Northern Pintail 10
Green-winged Teal (American) 2
Pied-billed Grebe 6
Double-crested Cormorant 14
American White Pelican 12 Flying over, looked like they came out of mpw
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 7
Great Egret 8
Bald Eagle 4 2 Immatures and 2 adults
Red-shouldered Hawk 2 Adult and immature
Sora 1 Adult
American Coot 47
Killdeer 29
Least Sandpiper 8
Pectoral Sandpiper 10
Semipalmated Sandpiper 3
Lesser Yellowlegs 3
Chimney Swift 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Warbling Vireo 6
American Crow 5
Tree Swallow 200
Bank Swallow 1
Barn Swallow 1
Cliff Swallow 1
Carolina Chickadee 1
Carolina Wren 1
Gray Catbird 1
Cedar Waxwing 2
Common Yellowthroat 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39013514

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--Main Pool West, Greene, Indiana, US
Sep 5, 2017 9:48 AM - 11:42 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.7 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance a Water n. Seen from the east levee. We saw a pretty awesome Raptor show at the east levee x east end of double ditches. A Cooper's hawk flew in to perch near a red-shouldered hawk. Then a harrier began diving at the red shouldered hawk. After a few minutes, a peregrine buzzed in and begin hunting shorebirds in MPW. A second peregrine joined the first and the harrier begin diving on a peregrine, and then the second peregrine would dive on them. We saw this happened several times and it was pretty intense, with birds having to flip over upside down while in flight to fend off an attacker.
29 species

Canada Goose 17
Wood Duck 25
Blue-winged Teal 37
Northern Shoveler 16
Mallard 4
Green-winged Teal (American) 30
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 30
Great Egret 70
Northern Harrier 1 Immature
Cooper's Hawk 1 Immature
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 Immature
Sandhill Crane 2
Black-necked Stilt 1 Adult
Semipalmated Plover 5 Adults and juvs
Killdeer 69
Stilt Sandpiper 30 Juvs
Sanderling 1 Juv. Photos
Least Sandpiper 25
Pectoral Sandpiper 48
Semipalmated Sandpiper 29
Short-billed Dowitcher 2 Juvs
Wilson's Phalarope 1 Juvenile, swimming next to foraging stsa flock
Greater Yellowlegs 8
Lesser Yellowlegs 21
Peregrine Falcon 2 Immatures seen together
Tree Swallow 400
Bank Swallow 2
Barn Swallow 10
American Goldfinch 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39015564

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP11S, Greene, Indiana, US
Sep 5, 2017 12:10 PM - 12:31 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)
Comments: Water l disturbance a
8 species

Wood Duck 1
Blue-winged Teal 75
Green-winged Teal (American) 4
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Semipalmated Plover 8
Killdeer 33
Least Sandpiper 1
Pectoral Sandpiper 25

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39016670

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP9, Greene, Indiana, US
Sep 5, 2017 12:03 PM - 12:09 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance a water h. Looking in from 1400 W.
2 species

Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 5
Song Sparrow 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39015998

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP10N, Greene, Indiana, US
Sep 5, 2017 12:42 PM - 1:19 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance a water h
13 species

Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 10
Great Egret 20
Black-necked Stilt 1
Killdeer 7
Stilt Sandpiper 1
Least Sandpiper 3
Semipalmated Sandpiper 2
Greater Yellowlegs 2
Lesser Yellowlegs 2
Warbling Vireo 1
American Crow 15
Cedar Waxwing 1
American Goldfinch 3

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39017246

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

Goose Pond FWA--GP8, Greene, Indiana, US
Sep 5, 2017 1:25 PM - 2:25 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance a water h
14 species

Wood Duck 10
Mallard 13
Double-crested Cormorant 9
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 10
Great Egret 25
American Golden-Plover 1 Juvenile. Pics
Killdeer 10
Hudsonian Godwit 1 Transitional adult, mostly basic. With a flock of greater yellowlegs. Slightly larger than greater yellowlegs. Black legs. Warm buffy breast with a few scattered Rufus belly feathers. Solid gray scapulars and mantle. The bill was pinkish orange at the base and darker near the tip. White supercilium on buffy brown face. While it slept I saw it slightly part one wing and then I could see the black tail and white rump. It spent nearly the entire time sleeping sitting on a small island in the south east corner of the unit
Stilt Sandpiper 2
Least Sandpiper 1
Wilson's Snipe 1
Greater Yellowlegs 9
Lesser Yellowlegs 10
American Crow 25

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39018309

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

‚Äč

Amy Kearns
Assistant Nongame Bird Biologist
Indiana Division of Fish & Wildlife
562 DNR Rd Mitchell IN 47446
<akearns...><http://mc/compose?to=<akearns...>
(812) 849-4586<tel:%28812%29%20849-4586> ext. 223 (office)
(812) 844-3042 (cell)

Join us on Facebook!