Date: 9/5/17 8:53 pm
From: Nadine Drisseq <bearsmartwa...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Swallow-tailed Gull - railroad tracks
On Sunday, I couldn't believe it when a small group of birders stopped to
have a discussion right on the railway track. I nagged them horribly until
they moved off, sarcastically calling me "Mom" but I'd also like to share a
story from my youth.

30-odd years ago, I lived in England near a railway line with a very fast
125mph service. My friends and I would cross the tracks to get to the
seawall. We all ran across the empty tracks one evening, but Julie was last
and behind us, and she fell - she tripped and her head hit the rail!

She lay unconscious with her head on the wrong side of the rail - the
inside - and didn't move. A passenger train suddenly appeared from the
tunnel several hundred yards down track, and it was coming fast. She was so
lucky her boyfriend was fast and didn't panic like the rest of us - he ran
back, picked her up and off the rails just in time, kneeling holding her as
the fast train tore by us. Julie slowly came to consciousness and she was
fine. (She now has several children and lives in a nearby town.)

You don't think it can happen to you, but all it takes is for your foot to
slip, to fall and be hurt and unable to get off the track fast enough. It's
easier than you think. Plus the curve is not far from the crossing at the
beach. Please do be extremely careful.
If you must cross, look both ways on each rail track first, and walk with
focus and deliberate footing.

Thank you, and sorry for the nag.
I appreciate many of you as mentors and friends.

*Nadine Drisseq*