Date: 9/5/17 7:18 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Off topic - natural phenomenon
My wife, our dog Pip, and I had the same experience at the mouth of Eel
Creek near Eureka, CA (very near Arcata) on Saturday morning. That day
Eureka tied its all time record high- the heat was intense even early AM as
we headed to the beach. We slogged along in 80+ degree temps on the beach
(normal temps in 50-60s like Coos Bay) when suddenly we would hit a pocket
of cold air like 20 degrees cooler. We could walk the beach just a few feet
and go in and out of the cold/heat. It was crazy cool! Lotsa smoke there
all weekend due to fires in N CA. Smokey all the way back to Coos Bay but
incredibly noxious around Crescent City/ Brookings.

Always cool to go to Arcata this time of year and see hundreds (if not a
thousand plus) of godwits and tens of Willets and tens of LB Curlews in
just one miniscule portion of the bay. The shorebird numbers overall are
truly impressive. Plus the land bird migration is amazing. Anyhow just a
warning to anyone headed to southern Curry anytime soon- the air quality is
super bad- hopefully the upcoming change in weather will make breathing a
bit easier!

Tim R
Back in very smokey Coos Bay but where ain't it smokey in W OR now??

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017, Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
wrote:

> On Saturday morning, 9/2/2017, Eric Clough and I were leading a field trip
> for the Shorebird Festival at Cape Arago. It was cool, with the ocean
> breeze, as we looked out off the lawn at the bluff. People were wearing
> jackets. Down below we found a string of 25 Marbled Murrelets, mostly
> black-and-white, but with a “chocolate auket” adult or two in the mix.
>

> To the south we could see the big cloud of smoke of the Chetco Bar fire 80
> miles away.
>

> Then, as we stood there in the open outdoors, someone opened the oven
> door. We were hit with a blast of HOT air that raised the temperature 10+
> degrees. Some participants said they could follow the advance of the front
> across the water, seeing the heat wave distortion in the air.
>

> It waxed and waned. We were alternately in the hot and in the sea
> breeze. It followed us down the path to the north overlook.
>

> Quite an experience. Later, inland it was just warm.
>

> This morning I had ash from the gorge on my car in McMinnville.
>

> Paul Sullivan

Join us on Facebook!