Date: 9/5/17 3:31 pm
From: Joe Jungers <lotusjungers...>
Subject: Re: [ia-bird] Black Rail/Ferruginous Hawk on Labor Day
After Lee called me yesterday about the Black Rail and Ferruginous Hawk I headed to Cayler Prairie to try to find them. I was able to find one of the two Ferruginous Hawks so, as it was approaching dusk I decided to try for the rail. I brought my camera with the slim hope that I could get a photo of it. The grass was tall and the water was deeper than my boots but with Karla's help the rail flushed and without even raising the camera to my eye, I pointed towards it and started snapping pictures. I managed to get 3 okay photos of the Black Rail, which was more than I hoped for. That's not even the craziest part. Today I saw a group of migrants; Blue-headed Vireo, Canada Warbler, Chestnut-side Warbler ect. so I decided to go search for other migrants. I crossed the bridge and started walking the CRP along the creek and from the same area where I have been seeing Virginia Rail and Sora for the past few weeks a small dark, white specked rail flushed three feet in front of me. It was without a doubt a Black Rail. I'm not sure how often they come through here in migration but last fall I flushed a small sparrow sized dark rail while combining corn but having never seen a Black Rail I talked myself out of it being a possibility. After positively identifying the one yesterday I am certain that was a Black Rail last fall as well.

Joe Jungers
Sioux County