Date: 9/3/17 1:20 pm
From: philkenny--- via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Fwd: eBird Report - Conway-Robinson State Forest, Sep 3, 2017
I birded Manassas sod farm this morning and did not finding anything of interest, so I headed over Conway-Robinson State forest. It was really very birdy. I have not ever seen so many warblers, orioles, flycatchers, all in one place!
As soon as I got out of the car there was a flock feeding on poison ivy berries and the trees around the picnic area. There were bunches of REVI and BAOR, and many Veery, along with Blackburnian Warblers and chickadees, titmice, woodpeckers. I then walked down the path to the gas line right of way and found another flock of warblers and flycatchers. EAWP were all vocalizing continually. I found one Olive-sided Flycatcher in the mix. Further along the path there was another large flock of warbler and vireos all mobbing a snake skin! It was a fairly large snake skin draped over a branch, and the birds were going crazy. I walked thru the stand of pine trees and came upon another small flock with a Least Flycatcher. I continued the counter-clockwise loop thru the park and as I can up the western side and back at the gas line cut, yet another flock of warbler and vireos. Lots of Ovenbird, Black-throated Blue, Magnolia and one Connecticut Warbler. It hopped up on top of a fallen log for a few seconds and then was gone. But I did get very good looks at the complete, bold white eye-ring. The list of the birds I saw is below, but the numbers are low on the conservative side. It was such and amazing day to be birding!
One other interesting thing. I heard a crack, crack and turned my head and saw a tree fall over! I was glad it did not fall on me! But I don’t think I have ever actually witnessed a tree falling on its own.
Cheers,
Phil

Phillip Kenny
1731 Killarney Court