Date: 8/30/17 8:30 pm
From: Peter Scott <Peter.Scott...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Greene-Sullivan SF and Goose Pond Main Pool West
Dan Weber and I birded these sites. In the state forest we were looking for warblers; did not find many, 18 individuals of 8 species in 1.5 hours (6 Parulas was the high count). Thanks to some of these warblers, I at last got my Greene County list to 200 species. At Main Pool West, we found two Hudsonian Godwits, the same ones, on the same little island, found an hour earlier by Don Gorney and Amy Kearns (who also saw a third godwit take flight), but we had not yet seen Don's post.

Greene-Sullivan SF, Greene, Indiana, US
Aug 30, 2017 8:45 AM - 10:20 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
Comments: With Dan Weber. Birded along gravel roads (looking mainly for warblers) northwest of Goose Pond FWA, from CR1475 and 100S north to 50S, then west past campground to Sullivan County line, then south on 1600W, and east on 25N (or 25S), winding southward for a mile, then east past Airline Lake to 1475W. Clear, sunny, calm to light wind.
43 species (+1 other taxa)

Great Blue Heron 1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 2
Chimney Swift 11
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 15 very common, one or a few seen at each stop, all female/immature plumage
Red-headed Woodpecker 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Downy Woodpecker 5
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 8
Empidonax sp. 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
White-eyed Vireo 5 all singing
Yellow-throated Vireo 2 visuals
Warbling Vireo 4
Red-eyed Vireo 6
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 5
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 1
Tree Swallow 3
Barn Swallow 8
Carolina Chickadee 14
Tufted Titmouse 8
White-breasted Nuthatch 3
Carolina Wren 4
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 11
American Robin 9
Gray Catbird 1
Brown Thrasher 1
Blue-winged Warbler 1
Black-and-white Warbler 2
Prothonotary Warbler 3
Tennessee Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 2
Northern Parula 6
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Prairie Warbler 1
Eastern Towhee 1
Summer Tanager 1
Scarlet Tanager 2
Northern Cardinal 4
Indigo Bunting 2
Baltimore Oriole 5
American Goldfinch 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38914228

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org<http://ebird.org/>)

Goose Pond FWAŚMAIN POOL WEST, Greene, Indiana, US
Aug 30, 2017 11:10 AM - 2:25 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments: With Dan Weber. Parked at south end of MPW on 1200W at bridge. Hiked levees east, then north and northwest almost to a point opposite Double Ditches peninsula, trying to find shorebirds in Main Pool West. (This hike of about 1.5 miles took nearly an hour each way, with a few stops.) Water fairly high, not much in way of mudflats. Shorebirds were resting and half-hidden in shoreline vegetation across water from us on our walk out, but more active on our return. Hot (80 F), clear at first becoming 50% cloudy with pretty cumulus clouds, a little wind from north.
27 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose 80 flock took off from MPE
Wood Duck 10
Blue-winged Teal 5
Double-crested Cormorant 15
Great Blue Heron 20
Great Egret 50
Black-crowned Night-Heron 3 adults in flight over MPE
Turkey Vulture 8
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 immature
American Coot 1 1 seen; a few other coots or gallinules heard from vegetation in MPE
Black-necked Stilt 5
Semipalmated Plover 1
Killdeer 6
HUDSONIAN GODWIT 2 resting in standing posture in narrow "island" of knotweed in middle of large shallow lake, about 200 m south of Double Ditches. Non-breeding plumage: gray back, broad white superciliary line extending to base of bill, long slightly up-tilted bill red at base and dark distally, black legs, breast whitish gray, white vent with a little black barring. The two birds looked very similar and stood so close to each other that one was mostly hidden by the other. They eyed us but allowed a fairly close approach (to about 70 meters) and did not flush. Studied for about 15 minutes beginning at 12:15 pm. (Two Photos in eBird checklist)
Stilt Sandpiper 7 foraging in deeper water (compared to Pectorals, L Yellowlegs, and Dowitcher) 5 to 8 meters from grassy shore of large shallow lake (2 photos)
Pectoral Sandpiper 3 in loose foraging flock with Stilt S, Lesser Y, Dowitcher
Short-billed/Long-billed Dowitcher 1 foraging near shore, distant view, rather bright (orangish) feathers on upperparts
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Greater Yellowlegs 1
Lesser Yellowlegs 2
shorebird sp. 50
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 4
Red-headed Woodpecker 5 perched, and flycatching from two snags in tree line at south end of MPW
Eastern Kingbird 1
Bell's Vireo 3 singing birds, unseen
Tree Swallow 2
Carolina Chickadee 1