Date: 8/30/17 12:42 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Plum Island - 08-30-17
David Moon and I led Joppa Flats' Wednesday Morning Birding program on
to Plum Island with focus, once again, on shorebirds.  The weather
improved from earlier rainy conditions to a beautiful day at program's
end -- skies cloudy to partly cloudy, temps mid-60s to around 70, and
winds NNE/5-12 mph.

Our list:
American Black Duck (1)
Mallard - common; mostly juvs.
Double-crested Cormorant - common.
Great Blue Heron (2) - including 1 in North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Great Egret (~ 12) - various.
Snowy Egret (~ 24) - various.
Glossy Ibis (1) - nonbreeding adult; NP from Hellcat dike.
Turkey Vulture (4)
Osprey (3) - including 2 at Pines platform.
Northern Harrier (2)
Black-bellied Plover (~ 6) - Bill Forward Pool.
Semipalmated Plover (~ 30) - BFP.
Killdeer (1) - BFP.
Greater Yellowlegs (~ 20) - various.
Lesser Yellowlegs (~ 30) - various.
Sanderling (6) - Sandy Point.
Semipalmated Sandpiper - common; mostly BFP.
Least Sandpiper (5) - 1 juv, Stage Island Pool; 4 juvs, NP from Hellcat
dike.
White-rumped Sandpiper (~ 7) - BFP.
Dunlin (1) - mostly alternate plumage; BFP.
Stilt Sandpiper (3) - BFP.
Short-billed Dowitcher (~ 15) - BFP.
Ring-billed Gull (~ 25) - Sandy Point.
Herring Gull (~ 10) - Sandy Point.
Great Black-backed Gull (~ 12) - Sandy Point.
Least Tern (1) - BFP.
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove - many.
Tree Swallow - common.
American Robin (3)
Gray Catbird (2)
Northern Mockingbird (3)
European Starling - common.
Cedar Waxwing (1) - roadside, South Marsh.
Northern Waterthrush (1) - NP from Hellcat dike.
Song Sparrow (1)
American Goldfinch (2) - Hellcat.

Please take note, during Wednesdays in August, "Wednesday Evening
Shorebirding" will be conducted out of Joppa Flats, 5:30 until 7:30.
$10 for Mass Audubon members; $12 for nonmembers. Hope to see you there!

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Posted by: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>