Date: 8/30/17 8:40 am
From: Hengeveld, James David <jhengeve...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Late August migrants - Bloomington area
Susan & I brought our Ornithology class to North Fork Refuge on Monday & Tuesday mornings. There were a lot more migrants present on Monday morning, as we recorded 9 warbler species - Nor. Waterthrush, Prothonotary W., Tennessee W., Com. Yellowthroat, Am. Redstart, Nor. Parula, Blackburnian W., Chestnut-sided W., and Prairie W. Yesterday, the highlight (for me, not for the students :-)) was a singing Olive-sided Flycatcher; we recorded only 5 warbler species.

Last Saturday (8/26), when Susan and I visited North Fork, we had our first ever (for North Fork) small flock of Horned Larks - all juveniles. We also saw an early Mourning Warbler at the beginning of the far south dike. The previous day, on a walk on Yellowwood Lake Rd., we had several nice migrant flocks, recording 12 warbler species, including 2 Worm-eating, 2 Golden-winged, 2 Blue-winged, a Hooded, and 2 Blackburnian.

Jim & Susan Hengeveld
Unionville, IN

North Fork Waterfowl Resting Area, Monroe, Indiana, US
Aug 29, 2017 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM
32 species

Canada Goose 30
Wood Duck 2
Mallard 7

Double-crested Cormorant 12

Great Blue Heron 6
Great Egret 8
Green Heron 1

Bald Eagle 1

Killdeer 1

Mourning Dove 3

Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1

Olive-sided Flycatcher 1
Eastern Phoebe 2
White-eyed Vireo 3
Yellow-throated Vireo 2
Warbling Vireo 2
Red-eyed Vireo 3
American Crow 3
Barn Swallow 4
Carolina Wren 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Brown Thrasher 1
European Starling 1
Tennessee Warbler 1
Nashville Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
American Redstart 1
Bay-breasted Warbler 1
Song Sparrow 1
Indigo Bunting 3
Red-winged Blackbird 5

North Fork Waterfowl Resting Area, Monroe, Indiana, US
Aug 28, 2017 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM
37 species

Wood Duck 6
Mallard 2

Double-crested Cormorant 40

Great Blue Heron 5
Great Egret 3

Bald Eagle 1

Killdeer 4
Spotted Sandpiper 2

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1

Pileated Woodpecker 1

Eastern Wood-Pewee 3
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
White-eyed Vireo 2
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Warbling Vireo 2
Red-eyed Vireo 5
American Crow 4
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 4
White-breasted Nuthatch 4
Carolina Wren 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 4
Gray Catbird 1
Northern Waterthrush 1
Prothonotary Warbler 4
Tennessee Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 2
American Redstart 3
Northern Parula 1
Blackburnian Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Prairie Warbler 3
Song Sparrow 2
Indigo Bunting 1
Red-winged Blackbird 3
American Goldfinch 2

North Fork Waterfowl Resting Area, Monroe, Indiana, US
Aug 26, 2017 8:30 AM - 9:30 AM
37 species

Wood Duck 6
Mallard 4

Double-crested Cormorant 31

Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 5
Great Egret 3
Green Heron 3

Turkey Vulture 2

Killdeer 8
Wilson's Snipe 1
Solitary Sandpiper 2
Greater Yellowlegs 2
Lesser Yellowlegs 1

Mourning Dove 2

Yellow-billed Cuckoo 2

Hairy Woodpecker 5

Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
White-eyed Vireo 1
Warbling Vireo (Eastern) 1
Red-eyed Vireo 6
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 8
Horned Lark 8
Barn Swallow 5
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 6
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) 2
Carolina Wren 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
Eastern Bluebird 6
Prothonotary Warbler 1
Mourning Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 3
Song Sparrow 3
Indigo Bunting 1
Baltimore Oriole 1
Red-winged Blackbird 3
American Goldfinch 4

Yellowwood State Forest, Brown, Indiana, US
Aug 25, 2017 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM
33 species

Red-shouldered Hawk 1

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2