Date: 8/29/17 10:55 am
From: Shawn Miller <608shawnmiller...>
Subject: [wisb] Lower Yahara River Trail migrants, Dane County
As some of you may have seen, the Lower Yahara River Trail opened this past Sunday. It connects McDaniel Park in McFarland with the far north end of Lake Farm County Park (and keeps going through Lake Farm and over towards Nine Springs). The trail is easily accessible with a wide board walk the entire way between the parks.
Link: Madison.com Article<http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/opening-of-lower-yahara-river-trail-draws-dozens-creates-opportunities/article_2ef32a93-4eeb-5629-ba9e-d92bed9655e8.html>

From McDaniel Park, the trail first cuts through lake edge habitat beneath some cottonwoods, eye level with some low scrub and above some muck (someone should probably put out some of those Prothonotary PVC nest boxes?). This section is about 1/3 mile long. In this area this morning I saw a few TENNESSEE WARBLERS, AMERICAN REDSTARTS and WARBLING VIREOS.

Next, you enter out just over the lake edge and most of the vegetation is over across the railroad tracks to the east, but you can still get good looks. I saw some BLUE GRAY GNATCATCHERS, COMMON YELLOWTHROATS and family group of both GRAY CATBIRDS and EASTERN WOOD PEWEES.

Eventually the trail becomes part of the isthmus between Upper Mud Lake and Lake Waubesa. Good views are available for both bodies of water. I saw a (migratory?) group of 10+ PIED BILLED GREBES on Upper Mud Lake along with four WOOD DUCKS. I also heard a VIRGINIA RAIL squawking and saw some KILLDEER and a SPOTTED SANDPIPER. This access area should be great for good views of the migratory waterfowl starting in a few weeks.

I continued on at Lake Farm (started a different checklist once I hit land again) and had most of the same species again there. (Incidentally, the 'restoration' efforts look nearly complete at Lake Farm, with almost zero scrub/honeysuckle remaining anywhere along the lake shore trail).

I would guess the distance between the parks via the boardwalk is less than a mile.

eBird Checklist: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38886002

Thanks,
--Shawn Miller
McFarland, Dane County