Date: 8/29/17 6:25 am
From: Nick Bonomo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] 8/26 CTYBC shorebird trip, 8/27 New Haven area
Hi all, apologies for the belated report (kinda...everything unusual
here had already been reported in some capacity).

On Saturday the 26th, I accompanied the Connecticut Young Birders Club
on a CT Shorebird Day. We ran the coast from Old Lyme to Stratford and
tallied 21 species of shorebird on the day - pretty good!

Highlights included:
Old Lyme, Griswold Pt - flyby Pectoral Sandpiper
Old Lyme, Watch Rock - White-rumped Sandpiper, Forster's Tern
West Haven, Sandy Pt - juv Baird's Sandpiper, juv Red Knot
Milford, Milford Pt - juv American Golden-Plover, Whimbrel, juv
Western Sandpiper (perhaps two)

While shorebird diversity was good, numbers were down on the heels of
that strong August cold front. Tern numbers were also low everywhere
except for New Haven Harbor, where a high concentration of small
baitfish and predatory Bluefish continues.

On Sunday the 27th, I returned to Sandy Pt early in the morning and
had the continuing Baird's Sandpiper and Red Knot. The terns were out
feeding in the harbor.

Given the stiff north breeze over the harbor, I headed to Lighthouse
Point in New Haven. The woods were quiet (per usual there, these
days). I set up at the Hawk watch from 1020-1120 in time to catch the
tail end of the north breeze before it died and shifted onshore. There
were a few raptors migrating before the wind turned: 1 Sharp-shin, 1
Bald Eagle, 1 Northern Harrier, and 3 Osprey. All of these birds acted
as migrants and were followed as they cleared over the harbor.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com