Date: 8/27/17 7:51 pm
From: Joe Luedtke <onaturalist...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Ospreys back in nests near Lake Kegonsa - Osprey Question
Hello,

I=B9m copying back from a trip to Yellowstone NP and had the opportunity to
observe Osprey at their nests. While I was there a Raven came and landed i=
their nest. The Osprey moved slightly over to a branch and let the Raven
pick at the nest and seemingly eat some scraps. I was surprised they didn=B9=
attack the Raven. Maybe the Osprey weren=B9t the adults but fledglings but I
observed both of them flying and hunting. See attached pic. The Raven was
there for at least 15 min.

Anyone know of this type of behavior between these two species?

Joe

From: <wisbirdn-bounce...> on behalf of Sandy Petersen
<buboarcto2...>
Date: Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 5:58 PM
To: Wisconsin Bird net <wisbirdn...>
Cc: Sandy Petersen <buboarcto2...>
Subject: [wisb] Ospreys back in nests near Lake Kegonsa

Hi all!
The Osprey kids are not quite as independent as it seemed.

A week ago I saw one young back in 1 nest,
today there were 2 young in 1 nest and 1 young in the other.
A third nest remains empty.

The two were being fed by an adult and squabbling and
the one was sitting and calling.

Guess it is one thing to fly, another to find one's own prey.

Sandy Petersen, rural Dane county

http://www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn