Date: 8/27/17 5:39 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Lucy's Warbler & other Central Park notes
Roger,

Interesting about the resurgence of lerps following last winter's rains.
Eucalyptus trees in the Prado Basin were replete with lerps all summer,
which hadn't been the case in 2016. Apparently years of drought did have a
significant dampening effect on their numbers, which was especially evident
during the migratory period last fall.

Jim Pike
HB

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 3:15 PM, <rogerschoedl...> [OrangeCountyBirding]
<OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> wrote:

> The LUCY'S WARBLER continued this morning as mentioned in various posts.
> It frequents the mid story of the eucs at the eastern end of the east-west
> fence line when walking east from the Slater parking lot. It makes
> occasional forays to the smaller trees around the two small ponds to the
> south and southwest before returning to the eucs. It is slow moving and
> often disappears for spells and then suddenly resurfaces. It is best
> detected by listening for its "spink" call.
>
> On a general note, conditions in Huntington Central Park are much improved
> from recent years:
>
> -This summer irrigation resumed in all of the park east of Goldenwest.
> Lawns and shrubbery are healthier and green again.
> -Talbert Lake has been slowly refilling since early July. The entire
> footprint of the lake is now covered with water.
> -Many eucs are very leafy and covered with lerps.
> -Although many sycamores died from the shot-hole borers the remaining
> trees (although few) appear to have developed resistance to the pest.
> Though stressed they have regrown at least respectable foliage.
>
> It's only Aug 27th and this weekend most all of the western warbler
> species (Townsend's, Black-throated Gray, Nashville, Wilson's,
> Orange-crowned, MacGillivray's, Hermit, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow) were
> seen. Throughout August I noticed a lot of warbler activity concentrated in
> and around the 'island' slough, the euc grove north of the amphitheater,
> and the two small ponds where the Lucy's was found Monday. I'm optimistic
> about the park's potential this season and hope to see more birder coverage.
>
> Roger Schoedl
>
> Huntington Beach

Join us on Facebook!