Date: 8/27/17 10:08 am
From: Kathie Roy <droy...>
Subject: Re: Roseate Spoonbill McPherson County near Inman
We arrived at the Little sink on 9th around 10 this morning in a light rain. We took to walking East to see better the water holes out among all the vegetation as when we left the area yesterday afternoon seeing lots of birds out there but tired and not wanting to walk in further. But this morning we walked in further and did see the spoonbill fly and set down, so walked back to car and drove over to the Big Sink on 10th and walked in on the dike quite a way to the waterhole we thought it might be at. As we approached a couple picked up to fly and one was definitely pink! We got nice look with our binoculars and watched it fly side by side with a white egret off to the southwest and towards the 9th road Little Sink. Can say we saw it!! Also saw American Pelicans, Canada Geese, Great Blue Herons ,White-faced Ibis, Little Blue Herons, many of those immature and some ducks. Wet but wonderful!!
Kathie Roy with son, Mike Roy
Minneapolis, KS
Ottawa County

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid
On Aug 27, 2017 9:34 AM, G & J Fenton Friesen <friesen.fenton...> wrote:

> A little more specific on the Roseate Spoonbill. seen this AM at the Little
> / BIg Sinkhole near Inman, KS.    I walked the dike from 10th Ave (Rd)
> walking to the west.  The dike path takes off just a bit sound on 10th Ave
> from the curve around the big sinkhole.  A waterway separates the dike from
> the pool where the egrets and the spoonbill were feeding. My look was of a
> large pink bird flying away. I'm not sure what put them to flight as I
> could not see them.
>
> Additional birds included a Peregrine Falcon diving at shorebirds and once
> even a duck along with a number of shorebirds (had to ID as it was very
> dark from an approaching storm).  Two Northern Harriers were working the
> fields around the sinkholes.  I had never walked back into this area
> before. Even if the spoonbill ends up not being present one would have a
> great birding experience at this location.  I would have birded longer but
> a cold front in the form of a thunderstorm moved in.
>
> Gregg
>
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 8:06 AM, Gregg Friesen <friesen.fenton...>
> wrote:
>
> > At 08:05 the bird remains present. Flew toward little sinkhole.
> >
> > Gregg Friesen
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On Aug 26, 2017, at 9:04 AM, Joseph Miller <josephlowellmiller...>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Spoonbill still present at the north end of little sink as of 9:00 this
> > morning. Also Willow, Alder and least flycatchers from the road here
> > > Joseph
> > >
> > > Sent from my iPhone

> > > For KSBIRD-L archives or to change your subscription options, go to
> > > https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
> > > For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
> > > http://www.ksbirds.org/KSBIRD-LGuidelines.htm
> > > To contact a listowner, send a message to
> > > mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>
> >

> --
> Gregg & Joanna Fenton Friesen
> Newton, KS