Date: 8/26/17 6:46 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (24 Aug 2017) Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 4 4

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 11 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Michelle & Christian Scheive, Jim Green, Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (o-10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 25-30K ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 59 - 79F, Winds NW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (45) and
Turkey Vultures (50).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Even Pavarotti had to practice”---

A couple of birds were singing out of season today, as they are in
migration…fall migration. Breeding is behind you, fellas! Save the pipes.
Or are you practicing for next year? Prairie Warbler and Blue-headed
Vireo were good finds this morning, though. It was amusing watching 2
Hummingbirds fight over my red trailer hitch handle. Chill guys! There’s
plenty of handle for all! They simply can’t resist the color red. Nor can
they get along. One wonders how they ever mate. 5 Common Nighthawks were
low on our meadow, feeding as the last light waned. Screech Owl and Barred
Owls soon joined them on my species list. You just missed them, Jim!
<BR><BR>
---- Thanks to Delaware Nature Society for their support, and especially,
to the Brokaws, for not only their incredible support, but gracious
generosity in opening their property to the public for this watch, and oh,
so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
2-Screech Owl, 1-Barred Owl, 69-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 3-Blue Grosbeak,
10-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 25, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Orange Sulphur,
Common Checkered Skipper, Red-spotted Purple, Eastern Comma, Cloudless
Sulphur. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles
& Amphibians (1): American Toad. Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern
Gray Squirrel, House Mouse.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.69; Steps: 20,392; Floors:
55.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Hawks & Nighthawks, must remain our primary focus) for totals of each
species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 54; this season: 58
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (6):” Cooper’s
Hawk, Barred Owl, Blue-headed Vireo, Prairie Warbler, Chipping Sparrow,
Brown-headed Cowbird.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks about the same
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware
Nature Society. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: